What's new
What's new

indexing head / helix

Jones'R

Plastic
Hi Guys,

Im getting my feet wet with 4 axis work. Im starting simple with a haas indexer.

I want to make a part with a helical cutout along a circumference of a tube. simple : .250 slot rotating 90deg around the circumference and traveliing 1.0 along the X axis.

What are hte formulas to figure the feedrates for both X and the Indexer. I plan to do this in one shot to avoid repeating the operation/movements.

Your help is greatly appreciated.

Sounds pretty conventional to me... ???

G1 A-90. F100.
X-1 F10.

Anytime the A (or B) axi's are involved in the code, the feedrate will be interp'd at degrees/minute.
The next line will need to be coded with a LOT smaller F value as there is no A involved, so it is interp'd at inches/minute.

edit:

Re-read it and see that you want to doo both at once. "While" not "and then"...

G1 X-1. A-90. F80. (ass_u_ming a full 4x capable control)

----------------

I am Ox and I approve this h'yah post!

Last edited:
I plan to hit cycle start on both controls ! I know its unconventional

OK - now I git it... You doo NOT have a 4x control! Got it! :o

You have a cpl choices:

A) Control A = X-1. F1. - Control B = A-90. F90.

This is an example that git's'r'done in one minute each. You could edit the feedrates from there in proportion.

B) You can find out if either/both of the controls will support "Inverted Time". If so - you could use that, but I can't give you an example, and _ honestly - I'm not seeing the benefits of it. Option A above should werk fine.

------------------------------

I am Ox and I didn't git the fact of a "stand-alone" control at first.

There is another way to do the job, instead of the somewhat hokey way I described in my previous post.

Divide the cutter path into short line segments. Cut the first segment, raise the cutter, index a few degrees, cut the next segment where the last left off, repeat until done.

I don't see this being a solution, because the interpolated move is still X + A, is it not? Just a multitude more times to eff the thing up with a supposed '2 button start' to the mess.

Ok, yeah I get your drift. But that is going to turn out to be one hell of a looking abortion, compared to doing it in a proper manner.

Boy - I certainly don't see this being that big'a deal to hit two buttons at the same time. He understands that it's not gunna be 100% I'm sure, but I bet it's 99%. Prolly good enough for what he's dooin'.... The new guy's don't generally get the stuff that's gunna bring down the space shuttle eh?

------------------------

I am Ox and I approve this h'yah post!

Back