What's new
What's new

Anyone Chamfering with 90 Deg Spot Drills

JoeFin

Stainless
I need to Chamfer the edge on a part with acute angels and wanted to know if this could be done with a 3/8 - 90 Deg Carbide Spot Drill

I have done it in a pinch. It works OK Not as nice as dedicated chamfer mills but not bad.

Small part - small acute angels - and the chamfer mills I have are all way too big for this so I was hoping it would work

Thanx

I do it regularly; it works OK, but the spot drill is not made for that kind of work.

I just bought some chamfer mills and they work great. I will only go back to the spot drill if there is not enough room in the tool changer for the chamfer mill.

maritool.com has chamfer mills as small as Ø1/8".

Chris Kirchen

For a lot of the Aluminum/brass/plastice parts I do, I use 90 degree colbalt/hss spotting drills all the time for chamfering. They work great. I've been doing it for years. For steel parts, I use 90 degree carbide mill/drills.

The Melin 90deg drill/mill works great I keep one loaded all the time and use it to spot,cham,drill, and Profile with. couldnt do without it.

On our plastic parts, I run 1/8" carbide 90 degree spot drill over all the corners I can reach for deburring purposes. I've never actually checked the resultant angle. Works great for us.

We run single edge chamfer tools at about 6500 and 30IPM to chamfer aluminum and steel and have for years. I like the idea of the ford multi flute ...run it slower

Back