What's new
What's new

Interruption Turning

rvb88

Plastic
I was wondering if interruption turning causes any problems.

I have parts having through holes (current part having 26 through holes on face. dia. 200mm, drill size dia. 13mm).
So if i turn 1st side, drill holes and then turn the 2nd side, will it be ok? or what problems am i going to face?
am i going to lose more inserts(going by logic)when turning 2nd side or will it not affect too much?

I can’t quite picture what you’re doing. Do you mean the holes are cross drilled radially or drilled along the length of the part axially? I think you’re saying you have a 200mm round bar with a bunch of cross drilled holes in it that now you have to turn down? How much are you turning the diameter down by? What’s the material? Are you worried about a mismatch line left from the two different ops?

It also very much depends on what tolerances you need to hold. At any interruption, the tool is unloaded, then sharply loaded again. This causes spring in the mechanical system of the tool holder and results in tool bounce which can be seen as a "shadow" just behind the leading edges of the interruption. You also will have "fall off" on the trailing edge as the material pushes out from the tool as the material supporting it is gone.

Back