What's new
What's new

Interview for a machinist trainee position.. need advice!

Ragana

Plastic
So I'm still in school but I have an interview for a CNC machinist trainee position this upcoming Friday. I was told that I'll need to take a blueprint/math test so I should expect to be there for 2-3 hours.

I'm pretty confident with the blueprint portion, I'm just curious if you guys have examples of what type of math I should expect to see?

Bob is right on with that advice. You will pass their little test or not. If you do pass great and if you don't you will know what to work on.

It will just be basic mathematics. Geometry, Pythagoras and algebra. If you're good with those three you'll shit it in. And like the others said be confident but without sounding cocky. Good luck ��

Copy a couple machined part's blueprints to practice reading off the internet, download a list of blueprint symbols, (straightness, concentricity, surface finish, flatness, etc,etc) and memorize them. Learn enough trig to use a calculator or pocket trig book (anyone still use those?) to solve the height and length of an angle. Be prepared to look at a print and estimate how much material would be needed to make "X" quantity of a certain part. Use a calculator to convert fractions to decimals and add decimals of various places.

I gave out a few math tests in my day always let people use a calculator as not everyone is off the top of the head math whiz or good at long handing on paper, but can use a pocket calculator. The important thing is knowing how to set-up the problem to arrive at the correct final answer. Blueprint and shop math tests vary greatly but knowing the above will probably get you a passing grade on most of them.

Copy a couple machined part's blueprints to practice reading off the internet, download a list of blueprint symbols, (straightness, concentricity, surface finish, flatness, etc,etc) and memorize them. Learn enough trig to use a calculator or pocket trig book (anyone still use those?) to solve the height and length of an angle. Be prepared to look at a print and estimate how much material would be needed to make "X" quantity of a certain part. Use a calculator to convert fractions to decimals and add decimals of various places.

I gave out a few math tests in my day always let people use a calculator as not everyone is off the top of the head math whiz or good at long handing on paper, but can use a pocket calculator. The important thing is knowing how to set-up the problem to arrive at the correct final answer. Blueprint and shop math tests vary greatly but knowing the above will probably get you a passing grade on most of them.

Any tips on estimating material?

S o h
c a h
t o a

Personally, I would bring a scientific calculator and my trig book. No one would expect a machinist to not have one in the shop (this isn't school)

S o h
c a h
t o a

Personally, I would bring a scientific calculator and my trig book. No one would expect a machinist to not have one in the shop (this isn't school)

Damn... thats me out of the running :(

I got a mobile phone? does that count if its loaded to the gills with engineering type programs?

Just be yourself, be honest, and relax.
Either the boss will love you, or the boss will hate you, and sometimes.. both

Boris

"and pray you're not fed to the grumpy old machinist in the corner" :codger:

Attitude, attitude, attitude. I'll take a lesser candidate who shows an eagerness to learn over a smart mouth know it all punk any day.

Attitude, attitude, attitude. I'll take a lesser candidate who shows an eagerness to learn over a smart mouth know it all punk any day.

This!

I have employed many an engineering candidate in my years, and interview 10 times as many. the differentiator is not necessarily technical ability, although there is a minimum requirement, but the "can do" but "not arrogant/ cocky" attitude is what I look for. I also ask people what drives them to be an engineer? what background/ upbringing? did they pull their push bikes apart as kids? were they in the shed with their dad all the time? or were they stuck in front of a playstation? did they work in teams? sports etc? this all tells a lot about the individual too..

as far as the tests, as above - you know what you know so just give it your best...other than that, show them you are the guy with the right attitude..

Damn... thats me out of the running :(

I got a mobile phone? does that count if its loaded to the gills with engineering type programs?

Just be yourself, be honest, and relax.
Either the boss will love you, or the boss will hate you, and sometimes.. both

Boris

"and pray you're not fed to the grumpy old machinist in the corner" :codger:

Every pre employment test I ever took had some trig on it......do it however you want to.......but I would be prepared to do it.

I haven't needed to use trig in the shop for 15 years.

I guess if you're hand programming off a print you use it. Who the hell does that in 2014?

Fab shop/manual machinist guys still use it. I can understand that, kind of.

If in your interview you figure out the guy is super into shop math, it might mean he's super old school and does things retardedly. You might not want to work there. Better to learn at a place that isn't doing things 1960's style.

Still in school? Training position? What could they realisticly expect beyond ability to count parts, read a mic, read a scale, and do basic math. Who the Hell knows what they will ask. Better test would be trying to find out if you are motivated, will show up on time, are a quick learner and not a general pain in the ass. If you can project that you should be hired................Bob

I guess if you're hand programming off a print you use it. Who the hell does that in 2014?

If in your interview you figure out the guy is super into shop math, it might mean he's super old school and does things retardedly. You might not want to work there. Better to learn at a place that isn't doing things 1960's style.

"You guys have heard of computers, Right?"

Wanna talk about machinist interviews.. Sheesh.

If it's truly for a 'trainee' position, anyone with brains is simply looking for someone trainable.

Even primitive old me when I get my CNC back up and running am only hand programming off a .dwg file. not a sheet of paper. If I ever come across some really complicated 3d work it will be CAM time.

So I brushed up on my trig for right triangles (sohcahtoa) and I'll relearn the law of sines today.

As fas as blueprint reading goes, I'm almost done with my CAD major so I been staring/creating blueprints for the past year; I should be okay.

They know I haven't taken any actual machining classes (aside from blueprint reading) but I'm hoping that my background in AutoCAD, SolidWorks and CREO gives me the leg up.

I would say you will be fine. Test is most likely there to verify that you have been to school and paid a little bit of attention in class.

You would be surprised at the people that will tell you about all the experience they have, but are lying or greatly exaggerating. The test is there to weed those out.

Don't stress it. Go in and take the test...if you don't make the cut, that is for your benefit as well.

He is not hand programming....He is taking a test that he has been told will include math. If the math portion of the test for a machinist does not include some basic trig and maybe some algebra .....then what the hell is it gonna include? (If 6 people on a website do not think J.W. is a complete dick .....and he says something assinine that pisses off 4 of them....how many people now think he is not a dick?....show your work.) Maybe some speeds and feeds. As far as being super old school.....I am not implying people need to use trig every day in the shop, or if they do that they have to do it long hand....but if you are too damn stupid to know how to calculate an angle or a tangent point then it can be assumed that you are too damn stupid to know why you should calculate one and any computer near you will be used for solitaire more often than not. To me someone who can not sit down with a scientific calculator and do a little basic trig is just fine.....shops need people who are willing to do as they are told and run other peoples programs all day as well.

Back