What's new
What's new

Issue Setting #100s Macros from Program

Smrtman5

Cast Iron
Machine: Eurotech 420 SLL, Control: 18i-T

I am trying to set the 100s series macros (100-149) using program calculations and inputs, such as #100=1. or #101=#101+1. I am able to input values from the macro screen and also from MDI. The issue seems to be only from a program into Auto mode. Perhaps there is a parameter that controls these?

The 500 variables work fine.

Thanks

Is this a multi-turret lathe? If it's a dual channel machine those variable numbers may not be shared across both channels. There may be a parameter to allow them to be common for both heads.

Is this a multi-turret lathe? If it's a dual channel machine those variable numbers may not be shared across both channels. There may be a parameter to allow them to be common for both heads.

It is indeed. Parameters 6036 and 6037 are for the sharing. I'm pretty sure I set them both to share all, but I will double check.

Edit: If it was not sharing the variables, it should at least appear in one of the heads, but it does not.

Last edited:
Edit: If it was not sharing the variables, it should at least appear in one of the heads, but it does not.
Hello Smrtman5,
Yes indeed.

With regards to the #100 Series parameters being vacant in Auto Mode, it would depend on at what point you viewed the variable in the Macro Variable page. If after M30, then its likely that the variables will be reset to Vacant (parameter dependent). To test, execute the program in Single Block and view the Macro Variable page immediately after a value has been allocated to the Variable in the program. For example:

----------
----------
#100=1
----------
----------
M30

View #100 immediately after the #100=1 Block has been executed.

Regards,

Bill

:eek: I thought they only reset after power off or the *reset* key was pressed. I was indeed looking at the macro page after an M30 was executed. I will try this first thing tomorrow. Thank you.

:eek: I thought they only reset after power off or the *reset* key was pressed. I was indeed looking at the macro page after an M30 was executed. I will try this first thing tomorrow. Thank you.
Hello Smrtman5,
Excluding System Variables, there are three types of User Macro Variables as follows:

1. Local Volatile - #1 to #33

2. Common Volatile - #100 – #149 (#199 Option)

3. Common Nonvolatile - #500 – #531 (#999 Option)

i. Volatile refers to the Variable being initialized to Null on the Reset Signal being raised, or the power to the control being cycled.
ii. Nonvolatile refers to the Variable persisting even when the power to the control is cycled.

The behavior of Local Volatile and Common Volatile Variables can set via parameter bits 6001.6 and 6001.7 for Common and Local variables respectively as follows:

Custom macro’s common variables Nos. 100 through 149 (to 199)

0: Cleared to “vacant” by reset
1: Not cleared by reset

Custom macro’s local variables Nos. 1 through 33
0: Cleared to “vacant” by reset
1: Not cleared by reset

M30 is commonly linked to Reset and therefore, the reason for the Local and Common variables referred to above being initialized to Vacant when M30 is executed.

Regards,

Bill

I just found 6001.6 in some poking around a few minutes ago. I might have to turn that on bc I am almost out of variables. If 6001.6 is enabled the 100s are treated like 500s?

I rewrote some things and I was able to get what I needed for now. I am used to machines that have more than #500-#531 as non-volatile variables, but now we are back on track. Thanks Bill!

I just found 6001.6 in some poking around a few minutes ago. I might have to turn that on bc I am almost out of variables. If 6001.6 is enabled the 100s are treated like 500s?
Hello Smrtman5,
Not quite. The 100 Series variables with parameter bit 6001.6 set to "1" wont be cleared to vacant on reset, but will still be cleared when the power to the control is cycled.

I rewrote some things and I was able to get what I needed for now. I am used to machines that have more than #500-#531 as non-volatile variables, but now we are back on track. Thanks Bill!

Its common for there to be many spare Tool Offsets that never generally get used. In a pinch, you can use these spare offsets as Non-volatile variables in a Macro statement; simply access them using their corresponding System Variable. They are not initialized on Reset, or cycling the power to the machine and can be accessed by all Macro Programs in the same way Common Variables are.

Regards,

Bill

Additional variables are available as a Fanuc option.

How many additional variables are there? Any idea of the cost of that option?

angelw said:
Its common for there to be many spare Tool Offsets that never generally get used. In a pinch, you can use these spare offsets as Non-volatile variables in a Macro statement; simply access them using their corresponding System Variable. They are not initialized on Reset, or cycling the power to the machine and can be accessed by all Macro Programs in the same way Common Variables are.

A clever idea. That would give me enough variables to program this a slightly better way and not have to worry about things disappearing after the machine is off.

Slightly tangential: can I view these or similar variables in the machine as variables as opposed to the tool offset page? I was having trouble with a barfeed the other day. #1000 is the end of bar check and I wanted to see the variable on the machine to check its status. I was looking for a way to show them (thats how I stumbled upon 6001.6) but I could not find anything in the Fanuc manual.

You can't directly view the content of #1000 (it's a system variable). It is easy enough to make it viewable. For example, #100=#1000 then look at #100 on the common variable page.

Using offset registers as additional variables is pretty common. Just need to train your operators to not go "clean up" the offset pages. I've seen that a time or two.

Back