What's new
What's new

Is this just the cutest little face mill or what?

Houndogforever

Hot Rolled
1.5", 4 flute with a 3/4" arbor hole in it.

Just did a trial on my speedio and that thing handles 8400RPM at 235IPM, 3/4" radial and .200 axial depth of cut and the spindle load meter never saw any red.

That is 3200 SFM @.007 IPT and it is in 6061 Aluminum.

I was really curious how it would deal with that cut and it really just didn't care. I guess I just established a base line for this cutter. :D

Yub3VkJ.jpg

oI8rng1.jpg

Last edited:
More rpm:D I run my 2" Korloy at 14k rpm 1.625" width .125" deep and 150IPM. Barely getting into yellow! I was running a R390 before this.

Get some sharp inserts, then you can really move some metal :D.

Speedio S700X1 16k spindle
2.5" 5-flute
2.25" WOC
10,000 RPM
.150" depth cuts
.004" chipload (200 IPM)

Yes, this does get the spindle loadmeter's attention :cool:.

Regards.

Mike

We have a 1.5" face mill on a 3/4" arbor mount, with _(10)_! inserts, capable of 6mm depth of cut... Polished, uncoated inserts for aluminum, with a 29* radial-rake angle... 28,000 max RPM if you were wondering... :smoking:

I so desperately want a place to try one of these out...

We have a 1.5" face mill on a 3/4" arbor mount, with _(10)_! inserts, capable of 6mm depth of cut... Polished, uncoated inserts for aluminum, with a 29* radial-rake angle... 28,000 max RPM if you were wondering... :smoking:

So, find a machine with a 15k spindle that will feed 600ipm. What will actually feed that fast?

The big sandvik sticker isn't a clue? :D
Thanks for pointing that out. I looked at the sticker, but having never owned or used any Sandvik stuff, it went right past me. Like most things.

I wonder how much better that "cute" ( :rolleyes5: ) tool would do if it was about 1.5" shorter...

Apparently the brand and model is a secret...

Alright, I will let you in on the secret. It is a Sandvik A490-038R19-08M cutter.

The aluminum grade inserts are 490R 08T308E-ML H13A

I also have steel cutting inserts and a 1" 3 flute endmill that uses the same inserts too.

Who is we again?

Thanks for pointing that out. I looked at the sticker, but having never owned or used any Sandvik stuff, it went right past me. Like most things.

I wonder how much better that "cute" ( :rolleyes5: ) tool would do if it was about 1.5" shorter...

Well, the cutter is only 1.575" tall now, so what you describe is technically a Flat Washer. :)

Get some sharp inserts, then you can really move some metal :D.

Speedio S700X1 16k spindle
2.5" 5-flute
2.25" WOC
10,000 RPM
.150" depth cuts
.004" chipload (200 IPM)

Yes, this does get the spindle loadmeter's attention :cool:.

Regards.

Mike

what kind of roll in/ lead in you use with that?

The holder is a Maritool. He only has a 1.5" gage length so from gage line to cutting tip is only 3.075". Not going to get a whole lot shorter than that really.

I also have a 2.5" Korloy 5 flute 45deg face mill for the speedio too. Just on this next part there are a few spots where I don't want that large a tool.

The holder is a Maritool. He only has a 1.5" gage length so from gage line to cutting tip is only 3.075". Not going to get a whole lot shorter than that really.

Richmill make a facemill holder with 30mm gage length. BT30-SM3/4-30 is their P/N. That would shorten you up ~5/16" or nearly 10% shorter.

Last edited:

Back