State/Province
    Utah
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default kennametal or maritool ?

I just bought my first personal machine, a Haas Minimill2

I have no experience with Kennametal or Maritool

We have Regofix and currently we order Techniks USA, I dont want the same tool holders the shop has, so no one can take and mix my holders with the other shop holders.
    My CNC is in my friends manufacturing/machine shop facility.

Can anyone give recommendations on either.

I have heard nothing but great about Maritool ($100 CAT40)
    But I get a 50% discount on all Kennametal with the new machine ($80 CAT40)

On a side note I will be replacing the usage of these tool holders with heat-shrink holders for all precision cutting tools, endmills and such. because of hi spindle speed low run-out. And because we have a $10k heat shrink machine that just sits here.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Houdini16 View Post
    I have heard nothing but great about Maritool ($100 CAT40)
    But I get a 50% discount on all Kennametal with the new machine ($80 CAT40)
    Flip a coin

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Both companies make good toolholders. I would buy whichever one cost less.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I went with Lyndex for my new mill but they were dual contact, I have a other mills that are totally Kennametal...they are quality holders. I don't own any Maritool but I have heard excellent things and the customer service appears to be awesome.

If it was all equal cost wise I'd go with Mari, but with the tooling cert I'd go Kenna. I don't think either is a bad choice.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

From my own experience with Kennametal, and the praise that everyone on here has for Maritool, I'd say Maritool every time.

Kennametal holders and collets are nothing special these days, with some amount of it being made in India you can't be sure what you're going to get.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Put the Kenna certificate on eBay and buy maritool.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I assume the $80 is the half price cost? If so this is a totally BS way to do business which these big companies get away with and on that alone I shy away from these companies. Couple that with what gregormarwick said above... Maritool. I have had great experience with Maritool personally- nothing out of the ordinary just no BS purchases and a good web site. The big guys don't operate that way anymore.

8. Likes Bobw liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

MariTool's price includes stellar customer service. If the Kenna deal gives you that, then great, but you should find out first. I know which answer I would bet on.

10. Likes Bobw, doug925 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

As others have said, Kenna is offshoring a shitload of their catalogue production. Maritool is very very transparent with how they manufacture the tools, etc (Instagram and posts on PM). Send your business to Maritool

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I compared the latest Maritool holder to the oldest one I have. The quality of Franks tooling just keeps going up. Kennametal,not so much.

13. Likes litlerob1 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Pete Deal View Post
    I assume the $80 is the half price cost? If so this is a totally BS way to do business
    I agree, we haven't had a BASH MSC thread in a while..

which these big companies get away with and on that alone I shy away from these companies.
    I don't mind a sale on occasion, Maritool usually does a few a year, 5% or something, and that's cool.
    But I HATE playing Blue Light special to buy some tools.

Couple that with what gregormarwick said above... Maritool. I have had great experience with Maritool personally- nothing out of the ordinary just no BS purchases and a good web site. The big guys don't operate that way anymore.
    I like the fact that if there is a problem, you know who to go to. If you start a thread here that says "MariTool
    SUCKS!!!"... Mr Mari will probably be post #2 asking what he can do to fix it.. Kennametal couldn't give a shit less.

15. Likes Jashley73 liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Minnesota
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

If you can wait a little Maritool said they'd be releasing another size of shrink fit holder per month. So far they just have the 1/2" x 3.5"

17. Likes apestate liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Utah
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Well I wanted to buy the Maritool but the $80 per holder for Kenn was almost going to get me to bite, but then, WTF how can you sell it to me at 50%off that's not correct, unless its import junk you paid $10 for.
    Then I had to ask for the specs. because they are not online. They said holders are G2.5, dunno, its not online.
    The said the collets .125-.25 are .0006 run-out. What that's cheap import run-out specs.
    Maritool collets say .0003
    If I am going to switch endmills to .0001 heat shrink holders in the NEAR future why the F would I want to buy .0006 collets.

Looks like I will have to bit the bullet and spend a little more on the Maritool.

I would like to buy Orange vises, but that's a little much$$, I am hoping the $600 per 6" Glacern Premium vise works out.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Well I wanted to buy the Maritool but the $80 per holder for Kenn was almost going to get me to bite, but then, WTF how can you sell it to me at 50%off that's not correct, unless its import junk you paid $10 for.
    Then I had to ask for the specs. because they are not online. They said holders are G2.5, dunno, its not online.
    The said the collets .125-.25 are .0006 run-out. What that's cheap import run-out specs.
    Maritool collets say .0003
    If I am going to switch endmills to .0001 heat shrink holders in the NEAR future why the F would I want to buy .0006 collets.

Looks like I will have to bit the bullet and spend a little more on the Maritool.

I would like to buy Orange vises, but that's a little much$$, I am hoping the $600 per 6" Glacern Premium vise works out.
    I can't believe Kennametal's quality is that bad.
    In that case, I'd definitely get the MariTool. I have a bunch of their holders with zero issues.
    I'd think twice about a Glascern vise though. At least get a Kurt, I have the Chick One Lok.

20. Likes apestate liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Illinois
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Houdini16,

We would be excited to earn your buisness. If you do place an order please put in the order notes that you are Houdini16 from the PM forum. I will do my best to make sure the "bullet" is a softer blow.

We have some sales every once in a while. Just to create a little buzz or bring in a little extra sales than normal. At most we have a 10% sale. That's all we can afford. We dont beleive in marking up 50% and then giving these huge sales to look like your getting a good deal. If you really respect your customers give them a good deal all year. They will reward you with loyalty ten fold.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Kennametal does not make collets. The ones we have purchased from them have been Erickson.

23. Likes allloutmx, apestate liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I am hoping the $600 per 6" Glacern Premium vise works out.
    Don't friggin' do it........search those vises here on PM.........that price should tell you about their quality................few bucks more and you could go with some Kurt 3600's

25. Likes Mtndew, BGL, SND liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Utah
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Shit, problem is the Kurt vise, without the flange mount at the base is over $800 each, and I need 3, I cant use the $600 Kurt 6" because of the width.
    But if the Glacern's suck, looks like I will have to come up with more dinero.

takes money to make money.

27. Likes Mtndew liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I bet you could get them down to $700-750 by buying 3..............................? Check Fleabay...................

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by robert123 View Post
    Kennametal does not make collets. The ones we have purchased from them have been Erickson.
    Erickson is a Kennametal brand.

30. Likes Ox, allloutmx, apestate, Jashley73 liked this post