What's new
What's new

kennametal or maritool ?

Houdini

Titanium
I just bought my first personal machine, a Haas Minimill2

I have no experience with Kennametal or Maritool

We have Regofix and currently we order Techniks USA, I dont want the same tool holders the shop has, so no one can take and mix my holders with the other shop holders.
My CNC is in my friends manufacturing/machine shop facility.

Can anyone give recommendations on either.

I have heard nothing but great about Maritool ($100 CAT40)
But I get a 50% discount on all Kennametal with the new machine ($80 CAT40)

On a side note I will be replacing the usage of these tool holders with heat-shrink holders for all precision cutting tools, endmills and such. because of hi spindle speed low run-out. And because we have a $10k heat shrink machine that just sits here.

I went with Lyndex for my new mill but they were dual contact, I have a other mills that are totally Kennametal...they are quality holders. I don't own any Maritool but I have heard excellent things and the customer service appears to be awesome.

If it was all equal cost wise I'd go with Mari, but with the tooling cert I'd go Kenna. I don't think either is a bad choice.

From my own experience with Kennametal, and the praise that everyone on here has for Maritool, I'd say Maritool every time.

Kennametal holders and collets are nothing special these days, with some amount of it being made in India you can't be sure what you're going to get.

I assume the $80 is the half price cost? If so this is a totally BS way to do business which these big companies get away with and on that alone I shy away from these companies. Couple that with what gregormarwick said above... Maritool. I have had great experience with Maritool personally- nothing out of the ordinary just no BS purchases and a good web site. The big guys don't operate that way anymore.

As others have said, Kenna is offshoring a shitload of their catalogue production. Maritool is very very transparent with how they manufacture the tools, etc (Instagram and posts on PM). Send your business to Maritool

I assume the $80 is the half price cost? If so this is a totally BS way to do business

I agree, we haven't had a BASH MSC thread in a while..

which these big companies get away with and on that alone I shy away from these companies.

I don't mind a sale on occasion, Maritool usually does a few a year, 5% or something, and that's cool.
But I HATE playing Blue Light special to buy some tools.

Couple that with what gregormarwick said above... Maritool. I have had great experience with Maritool personally- nothing out of the ordinary just no BS purchases and a good web site. The big guys don't operate that way anymore.

I like the fact that if there is a problem, you know who to go to. If you start a thread here that says "MariTool
SUCKS!!!"... Mr Mari will probably be post #2 asking what he can do to fix it.. Kennametal couldn't give a shit less.

Well I wanted to buy the Maritool but the $80 per holder for Kenn was almost going to get me to bite, but then, WTF how can you sell it to me at 50%off that's not correct, unless its import junk you paid $10 for.
Then I had to ask for the specs. because they are not online. They said holders are G2.5, dunno, its not online.
The said the collets .125-.25 are .0006 run-out. What that's cheap import run-out specs.
Maritool collets say .0003
If I am going to switch endmills to .0001 heat shrink holders in the NEAR future why the F would I want to buy .0006 collets.

Looks like I will have to bit the bullet and spend a little more on the Maritool.

I would like to buy Orange vises, but that's a little much$$, I am hoping the $600 per 6" Glacern Premium vise works out.

Reactions: NTM
Well I wanted to buy the Maritool but the $80 per holder for Kenn was almost going to get me to bite, but then, WTF how can you sell it to me at 50%off that's not correct, unless its import junk you paid $10 for.
Then I had to ask for the specs. because they are not online. They said holders are G2.5, dunno, its not online.
The said the collets .125-.25 are .0006 run-out. What that's cheap import run-out specs.
Maritool collets say .0003
If I am going to switch endmills to .0001 heat shrink holders in the NEAR future why the F would I want to buy .0006 collets.

Looks like I will have to bit the bullet and spend a little more on the Maritool.

I would like to buy Orange vises, but that's a little much$$, I am hoping the $600 per 6" Glacern Premium vise works out.

I can't believe Kennametal's quality is that bad.
In that case, I'd definitely get the MariTool. I have a bunch of their holders with zero issues.
I'd think twice about a Glascern vise though. At least get a Kurt, I have the Chick One Lok.

Houdini16,

We would be excited to earn your buisness. If you do place an order please put in the order notes that you are Houdini16 from the PM forum. I will do my best to make sure the "bullet" is a softer blow.

We have some sales every once in a while. Just to create a little buzz or bring in a little extra sales than normal. At most we have a 10% sale. That's all we can afford. We dont beleive in marking up 50% and then giving these huge sales to look like your getting a good deal. If you really respect your customers give them a good deal all year. They will reward you with loyalty ten fold.

Shit, problem is the Kurt vise, without the flange mount at the base is over $800 each, and I need 3, I cant use the $600 Kurt 6" because of the width.
But if the Glacern's suck, looks like I will have to come up with more dinero.

takes money to make money.

Back