Close
Login to Your Account
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Houdini16 View Post
    $600 Kurt 6" because of the width.
    The new DX6 has 4 mounting holes right through the vise..

Just mill the ear off. And even if you do that, its got 2 ledges
    under there so you could still use clamps on the outside.

2. Likes david n liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Shit, problem is the Kurt vise, without the flange mount at the base is over $800 each, and I need 3, I cant use the $600 Kurt 6" because of the width.
    But if the Glacern's suck, looks like I will have to come up with more dinero.

takes money to make money.
    Does Kurt still make the Kurt II vise?
    Maybe this style will be better for ya,no flange:
    Manual VersatileLock Vise, 6"

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Texas
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Another vote for MariTool here. I have a few SK collets and I'm very happy with them (and a fraction of the cost of Nikken). Also, customer service is superb.

For vises, I would take a look to Gerardi. They have a sale right now. I just ordered another 150mm (5.9") for about $700. I love the magnetic parallels they have.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Bobw View Post
    The new DX6 has 4 mounting holes right through the vise..

Just mill the ear off. And even if you do that, its got 2 ledges
    under there so you could still use clamps on the outside.
    OP,
    There ya go............even at MSC you could get'm for about $540.....................................

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Oregon
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Well I wanted to buy the Maritool but the $80 per holder for Kenn was almost going to get me to bite, but then, WTF how can you sell it to me at 50%off that's not correct, unless its import junk you paid $10 for.
    Then I had to ask for the specs. because they are not online. They said holders are G2.5, dunno, its not online.
    The said the collets .125-.25 are .0006 run-out. What that's cheap import run-out specs.
    Maritool collets say .0003
    If I am going to switch endmills to .0001 heat shrink holders in the NEAR future why the F would I want to buy .0006 collets.

Looks like I will have to bit the bullet and spend a little more on the Maritool.

I would like to buy Orange vises, but that's a little much$$, I am hoping the $600 per 6" Glacern Premium vise works out.
    Okay, I am ready for the beating by saying the below bu that's fine. LOL

If your gonna buy the Glacern vise you should just buy it from Shars and save a bunch of money. There the same vise from the same factory. I have the better double stations and they're not bad for the price. I am using 2 of the 4 in doubles with 5: jaws everyday. Autowell is the manufacturer. I personal wont give a doller to Glacern. I would love to have the Orange vise's but they're even more out of my price range with the new jaw system that would not benefit my parts much. I would still love to have them though.
    YMMF

7. Likes apestate liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Maryland
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I bought a Glacern vise. I did the same job on a Kurt DX6 at another shop..

A week later I had two Kurt D688 for $875.00 + $75.00 shipping.

Not to bash the Glacern - it is worth the price paid and functions accordingly. It's like a 15/16 scale Kurt.

The Kurt literally is stronger and stiffer.. no I did not scientifically prove this but I swear you can feel it when you tighten it and it shows in the repeatability and part retention.

As for Maritool. Just hold a collet beside any other brand, look close. If you made that tool wich one would you be proud of.. I bet you choose Maritool. That attention to detail is not just polish, its workmanship and quality and there is a difference - I support that because its tooling that lasts.

I have no experiance with Orange Vise so I have no opinion.
    Last edited by BGL; 11-28-2017 at 05:32 PM. Reason: Corrected vice model and price

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

For sure Kenna is manufacturing worldwide.
    Not sure how a machinist in the US is better than one in the India. Something in the water or maybe something else?
    But I am partial to Mari (without being a direct customer but seeing products used) and would spend a few extra dollars to go this way.
    Bob

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Oregon
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

So you're gonna go with flossy shrink fit tooling, in a Hass MiniMill, running on cheap import vises?

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by CarbideBob View Post
    Not sure how a machinist in the US is better than one in the India. Something in the water or maybe something else?
    I am certain that it's not the fault of the man standing at the machine in any case. That it's made in India is incidental. The point is that Kennametal's quality is not where it should be.

12. Likes machtool, Limy Sami liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Utah
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Looks like the best bet is to get the Kurt and mill off the ears, I thought of doing that before, now you talked me into it.
    I ordered the Maritools, I would rather pay more for quality.
    I try to buy US first(support US jobs, like ours),buy quality non-US second, then LOW price third, hence the questioning.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

This is not an endorsement of Kennametal...just wanted to straighten up some mis-perceptions.
    Kennametal is a global company and, therefore, needs to manufacture globally.
    Quite a bit of product is still made in the US, though. I toured their insert manufacturing facility in Orwell, Ohio and was pretty impressed with the manufacturing processes and volume of inserts made. They also have a tool holder manufacturing facility in Solon, Ohio. That's just a couple of examples.

I'm sure customer support can vary and is based on the sales rep for the area. My rep was pretty good (I say "was" because he left Kennametal and now works for PH Horn). Now my Kennametal support is lacking. That doesn't really bother me because I tend to reach for the Sandvik catalog first when I need a new tool.

Sometimes there are benefits to a larger company and sometimes not. That doesn't mean Kennametal is better or Maritool is better. It all depends on what you need.

I work for a large manufacturing company with lots of buying power when it comes to tooling. We use a LOT of tools and inserts so we can push the big companies because they want our business. But, if I worked for a smaller company I'd probably end up using a smaller (in comparison) tool supplier.

15. Likes Bobw, Jashley73 liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Oregon
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Just to add to the made in India thing. Today I received a New Sandvik Bliz style tap collet and to my surprise, it is made in India. The collet is very well made though and have no problem using it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I have Kennametal indexable drills made in Bulgaria and some ER Cat 40 toolholders made in India. Some inserts made in China and lathe stick tools made in the USA............................................... ......

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Texas
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Couple things I like about Maritool besides all the nice products they sell. If I call in and press 2 for tech support, I’m pretty sure I’m usually talking to Frank. Also, the part numbers are hand written on the bags which makes me think I’m supporting a smaller business.

19. Likes Bobw, ManualEd liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Wisconsin
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Looks like I will have to bit the bullet and spend a little more on the Maritool.
    You will not regret it. I started out taking a chance on Frank's efforts when I was doing work for a large, global company and needed some fill-in holders. They got my attention VERY QUICKLY. When when we would eventually open up on our own and were faced with buying everything from scratch, I did not hesitate one second. I called Frank and Tom directly and placed our opening order. By then they were doing fairly well and I'm positive that what we spent was but a blip on the radar. But for us, at that time, it was a small fortune. I agonized over the minutia of details and choices and Frank and Tom listened and gave their input freely and without fatigue. I've never had an issue with anything we've purchased from them, and a year or so back did some head to head testing against some Japanese Nikken holders we have. In every case, the Maritool holders measured better than or the worst ( once ), equal to the Nikken ones. Now compare the prices...

Maritool has earned our business.

21. Likes ManualEd, eaglemike, Bobw, Mtndew liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Houdini 16 I sent you a PM.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Utah
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Well maritool's arrived today, they look Awesome.
    after asking around here, and finding out about the company, the end all be all is high end product, at next to import prices, supporting local US company, GREAT customer service, will buy from Maritool every time from know on.
    Our larger business is going to switch also.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by robert123 View Post
    Kennametal does not make collets. The ones we have purchased from them have been Erickson.
    Kenna has owned Erickson since what - the 80's at least?

Along with Widia, Manchester, and whatever others ....

I have nothing against Mari in any way shape or form, but what's this about being concerned with "service" from Kenna?

Call their in-house tech line for tooling recommendations and S/F/DOC and whatever other questions.

I ordered the "wrong hand" version of a holder last week. The voice on the other end (Kim this time) was more than helpfull with getting me the right holder and fetchin' me an RGA slip for the wrong one.

You guys must be makin' stuff up as you go along eh?

I doo agree that Kenna has shipped in some Made in India holders in the past, so when it comes to Cat holders, I look local.

There are two other outfits in Michigan that you can get Made in USA holders that Mari doesn't make. (yet?)

Briney in Bad Axe, Mich
    and
    Fitz-Rite in the greater Detroit area.

These are priced right as well. You don't hafta buy imports to get a Cat holder.

Back to the original question:

Given that Kenna has been shipping Indian holders (some at least) I would go with Mari, b/c I am convinced that he makes his own, and others say that they are great products and he is a Yank, and the only border that I am OK with sending my Yankee dollar to is over the 48th parrallel where they ship it right back... after duties going north of course... I think that we really get hosed on this whole NAFTA thing. Seems like we take it in the shorts both ways...

--------------------------

Think Snow Eh!
    Ox
    Last edited by Ox; 11-30-2017 at 07:18 PM. Reason: added some more

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

+1 for Mari tool. Great holders, great service. The owner is a frequent poster and offers a lot of help to the community here.

+1 for the Kurt vises. The new DX6 is solid.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    New York
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by CosmosK View Post
    Couple things I like about Maritool besides all the nice products they sell. If I call in and press 2 for tech support, I’m pretty sure I’m usually talking to Frank. Also, the part numbers are hand written on the bags which makes me think I’m supporting a smaller business.
    And the packing list envelope...

27. Likes CosmosK liked this post