What's new
What's new

I need some tips on setting up for cut knurling on CNC Haas

laminar-flow

Stainless
Aluminum part, 2.325 Ø, knurled part only .250" long, starting right at Z0.0

Straight knurl, german tool from EagleRock.

How do you set the tool, feeds, speeds, etc.

I knurl all the time on our CNC,sorry but for the life of me I can't remember the maker of it but a knurl is a knurl I would think.

First I set the tool geometry old school,no tool probe.I move the knurling wheel to face of part and with a .002 shim I touch face and set Z zero.Next I position the tool over the OD and hand wheel down till both wheels are making contact heavy enough I can't stop them with my fingers being REAL CAREFUL not to get finger sucked in with the spindle turning about 50 or so RPM,once I have done that I stop spindle and enter in X geometry value of part OD,now the control knows all about my knurling tool.

My knurling tool came with a spec sheet that tells you what feed and RPM in relation to material and knurling TPI.
I can not remember the exact speeds and feeds but for mine on mild steel it is something like .010" per rev on feed and about 80 to 150 RPM,could run faster I guess but I don't push it on a $400 tool at your diameter I wouldn't go faster than 80 because at 2.325 it's gonna be spinning those little wheels pretty fast,again refer to your chart.

If I were doing your part,I'd set tool as described above,follow the chart the tool came with for the wheels teeth per inch then program it like this..
Remember to use cutting oil,WD-40 might work better on aluminum and do it with ONE pass.
GOO Z-.100 X2.5 Z is -.100'' because I don't think the tool would like being dragged up onto OD,maybe not true but starting the knurl over the part has worked for me well
X2.350
G01 X2.309 F.010 mine works at about .015-.017 smaller the major OD
Z-.250
Z-.249 maybe nor needed but I 'rock' it back and forth a little bit to give the knurl a chance to go all the way around before it retracts
Z-.250
G00 X2.5
X10. Z5.

Hope this helps

Back