What's new
What's new

Carbide insert help

Bluechipx

Hot Rolled
I need the insert ordering numbers for a very small triangle insert for a Graflex boring head. The insert has an I.C. of .187,.093 thick, any corner radius at this time and that "should" be 1.5 according to literature, but when I order 1.5 size, I get an insert that is much bigger with (1.5) clearly marked on the box.

TCMT or what insert type?

Smallest semi-common triangle insert I'm aware is ISO TCMT 06... so that would be TCMT 1.2 according to Sandvik website. tcmt 6 t1 4-uf 515
TCMT 1.5 looks to be as good as non-existent.

Are you sure that your "oversize" inserts are not "1.5" = 0.094" thickness ie like these:
tcmt 2(1.5)1-ur 4225

Inserts under .250 IC in the standard system have a different numbering system.
In a 10 degree positive no hole triangle with . 015 R this would be a TPEE-631.
Note the extra E.
Bob

TCMT or what insert type?

Smallest semi-common triangle insert I'm aware is ISO TCMT 06... so that would be TCMT 1.2 according to Sandvik website. tcmt 6 t1 4-uf 515
TCMT 1.5 looks to be as good as non-existent.

Are you sure that your "oversize" inserts are not "1.5" = 0.094" thickness ie like these:
tcmt 2(1.5)1-ur 4225

The insert is a small triangle, positive clearance with a chamfered center hole, .187 i.c. .093 thick. I'll give the 1.2 size a look.

Inserts under .250 IC in the standard system have a different numbering system.
In a 10 degree positive no hole triangle with . 015 R this would be a TPEE-631.
Note the extra E.
Bob
Bob, I have tpee's and they would be perfect except I need a chamfered center hole. I think we are getting close now to a insert part size number, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed!

I think I have my answer, tpmt 1.2 seems to at least look like the insert I wanted, I have ordered them and either I will have a perfect fit or they will go in my ever growing pile of mis-matches.
Thanks for the help guys!!

Back