What's new
What's new

Knee DRO

Jonathans

Aluminum
does it make sense to install a single axis DRO on the manual knee of my Bridgeport Boss? This will allow me to drop the knee when I need to load a long tool, and raise it back to the original Z 0 so I don't have to reset the tool length offsets of the other tools. Right?

does it make sense to install a single axis DRO on the manual knee of my Bridgeport Boss? This will allow me to drop the knee when I need to load a long tool, and raise it back to the original Z 0 so I don't have to reset the tool length offsets of the other tools. Right?

You can use a digital caliper. Make a bracket and bolt it on, job done.

Do you have a dro on the other axes? I fitted a 3 axis dro on my knee mill when I bought it and it has been worth every cent. Having only 1 axis would be a waste

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

This is a CNC forum so I didn't explain that the X,Y, and Z(quill) are all cnc controlled. Only the knee is manual.
I assumed that a DRO would be more repeatable than the dial.

I have a similar cnc knee mill and never thought to put a DRO on the knee. It would be extremely useful IMO.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

3axis dro + mitutoyo quill kit = happiness :)

Better, on a manual mill, add a real scale and link the 2 in the DRO so you have actual tool length no matter where the knee or quill is. I'd like that on my lathe tailstock base and quill as well.

DRO seems better for a CNC. More flexible, easier to read and set zero. Might want more than one zero for different tools. Otherwise, anything from a scale and the dial, long travel indicator, Travadial, would work.

I'll just go with a single axis DRO and glass scale for the knee. If I wanted to tie it in with the servo driven quill it would probably entail more than I comprehend. I'll run it by the folks at MachMotion and see what they think.

Back