What's new
What's new

Supercharging my HAAS coolant nozzles

Perry Harrington

Titanium
I've been meaning to post this once I had some pictures, Gismo's post prompted me to do it anyway.

My Haas VF0 always had lackluster coolant pressure, not enough to blast the chips away. I thought there must have been crud in the manifold, because it would seem to be an extreme oversight otherwise.

So I pulled the coolant manifold off the machine and inspected it, what I found was the loc-line nozzles were protruding so far into the manifold that the first nozzle was obstructing the galley to the others. I trimmed the threaded portion back to eliminate this obstruction, it improved the flow, but I thought it could be improved.

I examined the copper coolant hose that feeds the compression fitting on the coolant manifold and found it to be 3/8 ID. The compression fitting and manifold galley were no bigger than 11/32, which seemed to be a waste.

So, I grabbed a 23/64 and 3/8 reamer and reamed the fitting and manifold to 23/64 first, then 3/8 final. Now the fitting and manifold have the same area as the line feeding the coolant manifold, and boy does it work!

I've got 4 coolant lines with 3/16 holes drilled in the orifices and it sure blasts the chips away, no problems with coolant flow and chip re-cutting anymore! I'll try to put up some pictures and maybe a short video to illustrate the improvement.

Today I was running a bunch of 7075 parts, turning most of an 8.25lb block into chips, and they were all washing down off the table without any problems!

Hi Perry......post up those pics!! I want to change my VF-0 as well, because I suffer the same lack of coolant pressure as you describe.

At first I thought it was due to crud in the manifold, but the problem was a combination of restrictive manifold and the loc-line threads going too deep into the manifold. These are really HAAS' fault for not making the manifold tall enough to accept a full 1/4NPT and for making the galley smaller than the copper tube running to it.

Here's a cellphone video facing a part with a 2 flute 1.25" shear hog.

YouTube - HAAS facing 7075 with supercharged coolant manifold

Another potential cause is the collapse of the main feed hose. On my 1994 machine my coolant flow seemed punny so I put a bigger pump on it. There was little improvement. Then I changed the 5/8 ID hose out to a fresh piece of 3/4 hose and now the P cool can hit the far wall with high force with the small pump.:D

Back