What's new
What's new

Kurt vises

I got my 688 at the Wholesale tools store here in Houston so I didnt have to have it shipped. They are $489 on their website wttool.com But they dont have a store in TN and I dont know how much shipping would be. Dave

Mitty,

http://cgi.ebay.com/New-Kurt-6-D675...ryZ25297QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

These guys auction off new ones, and they typically go for $300-325 (though it's been months since I've watched). It's probably the best deal out there...unless Enco's got free shipping. I've dealt with Tool Buyers Network in the past, they do have some good pricing on a lot of stuff. But customer service isn't all that great, but nothing terrible either.

I don't particularly care for D688's because of the different screw assembly, I prefer my D675. Rarely do I need the extra 1.3".

Last year we needed 3 Kurt 3600V vises, Penn Tool had the cheapest price but they were out of stock plus the shipping was pretty pricey.

I called Enco (who had them in stock) and they beat the price by something like 10% plus they put them in as 3 seperate orders so shipping was free.

Ken

Applied

I did not mean that they are dishonest, and you're right about the shady appearance.
They don't usually have the good stuff, only average quality, but whatever is advertised is usually what is in the box.
Mostly chinese tooling plus Dorian and Toolmex stuff.
Kurt is a bonus and have usually 20-30 vises on their floor at any given day.
With that said, I have had very good luck with every Kurt vise I have, except for maybe the double lock, which seems to want to open one jaw or the other. The D675 though for $400 or so bucks, they are almost cheap.
Out of necessity I had to get a chinese garbage once. Got it for $99, spent 2 hours cleaning and deburring the miserable thing. Put it on the table, squared it up.
After running 5 parts took it off, disassembled it and threw it in the dumpster. The only thing I've kept is the base, which got milled into a nice cast iron fixture.
Since then I've got 3 more for the very same reason. Right after opening the box, disassemble it, throw away everything but the base and the hard jaws and use it for stable fixturing.
Ditto for the Chinese grinding vises.

Applied

I did not mean that they are dishonest, and you're right about the shady appearance.
They don't usually have the good stuff, only average quality, but whatever is advertised is usually what is in the box.
Mostly chinese tooling plus Dorian and Toolmex stuff.
Kurt is a bonus and have usually 20-30 vises on their floor at any given day.
With that said, I have had very good luck with every Kurt vise I have, except for maybe the double lock, which seems to want to open one jaw or the other. The D675 though for $400 or so bucks, they are almost cheap.
Out of necessity I had to get a chinese garbage once. Got it for $99, spent 2 hours cleaning and deburring the miserable thing. Put it on the table, squared it up.
After running 5 parts took it off, disassembled it and threw it in the dumpster. The only thing I've kept is the base, which got milled into a nice cast iron fixture.
Since then I've got 3 more for the very same reason. Right after opening the box, disassemble it, throw away everything but the base and the hard jaws and use it for stable fixturing.
Ditto for the Chinese grinding vises.

I totally understand, the stuff they advertise is "cheap". The things I've bought from them were factory-direct Lyndex/Nikken drill chucks, endmill holders, Bilz tap holders and then some random SECO inserts and such off ebay. They were 40% less than MSC. You might find better pricing, but I thought it was decent.

For auctioning Kurt vises...there's a slight chance you can get one cheap. But I agree with your assessment, the fact that vises are the most widely used part of your mill, and it works for years trouble-free....$400 is a drop in the pan.

Ebay - *&^%$# @*(*&

Well I was slightly out bid on a D675 vise by a hair: Sale price:$375.69Your maximum bid:$374.59And on another one D688 by $5:
Sale price:$413.00Your maximum bid:$408.00Who the hell bids with an ID like r***l3 and S***thead2 and crap like that. What happened to using ID's - someone hiding stuff? Shills in the crowd?

Well Enco has Free Ship on D675's so screw it I may stop bidding on the Ebay crap. Life is too short to get aggravated over a damn vise or two.

Frank in Tennessee

I got my D688s from Enco. Free shipping as Frank stated. Every few months, Enco has a 10% off web orders for a few days as well.

"""Well Enco has Free Ship on D675's so screw it I may stop bidding on the Ebay crap. Life is too short to get aggravated over a damn vise or two.""""

Pretty much how I think, but I did get a couple of Chicks of e-bay recently that turned out real good. Only problem was shipping took too long and had to run the job in the Kurt vises. Now I am looking for the right job to fit my real cute chicks. Ha-Ha
(Where the heck are the smiles?) People aren't going to know I am a sarcastic SOB and I don’t want anyone to get there panties in a knot.

Ya, that was no deal. Hmmm...maybe my memory is off on the $300-325 range.

Also, no shilling, it's just ebay hiding bidders profiles. Not certain why it's does that now.

Hokey Ebay

appliedproto - I don't know, hiding ID's, close bidding. Almost like pump and dump. :( That works like "hey ken, we got some vises on Ebay and its your turn to pump them babies up. Cause we don't wanna give away anything on a no reserve item" I think I will track the Kurt vises for a while and who wins them and let see if someone is trying to corner the market. It sure smells like rotten crawfish to me, well at least like cooking cabbage.:rolleyes:

Enco has them in the monthly sales flyer that I down load and free ship so by the time you figure the shipping costs from ViseHQ to me and you know the Enco stuff is new.

Those weird ID's must be to the Chicoms or something.:mad:

Tighter than a tick

Frank in Tennessee (still fuming):mad:

Hey Frank,

I've had my blood pressure raised more than a few times by ebay. I don't know what's going on with that hidden ID thing either. Anyway, not to irritate you further, but apparently they had more than one auction going at the same time. I won a D675 at $304.00 +$39.00 shipping at the same time last night, so I was suprised to see that you didn't win with your bid.

Again, this is not to rub salt in the wound, but to illustrate that you might want to try again.

Regards,

Burt

Burt

If your Solid State Storage, it was you that topped my bid! That's okay, by that time I had enough of musical vises. I bid again on some coming up so we will see what happens. I just have a threshold of how much I want to pay for stuff I can't touch if you know what I mean.

Frank in Tennessee

I don't you should get too discouraged. If you review their detailed feedback, the D675's typically sell in the $320 range (with some going as low as $222!!!). The D688 Typically are selling at $380, with some going for $330.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=150178863676

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=150174500791

+1 if you've got the patience, they go for $250 +/-. I got mine for $255. They run like 20 auctions for Kurts at one time, but the snipers are out in force. If in a rush, they have them on their BIN auctions for $399

New Kurt Vise Scored!

franksremote

Your right, a whole lot of patience and $280.00 scored me a nice new Kurt D675 Vise. Be here this week courtesy of FedEx. All is well that ends well.

A happy Frank in Tennessee:)

As my daughter says to her boyfriend " Don't blow the horn when you pick me up! My dad can run fast with his Shotgun - and he ain't afraid to use it":D

Back