What's new
What's new

Lathe with no cutter compensation, how can I program quicker??

hd28vsb

Aluminum
I have been running a lathe that doesn't accept cutter comp. Anytime that I am running critical angles , tapers , radii etc. I have been drawing the part up in Mastercam mill (no lathe seat) , Then drawing arcs the size of the cutting tool nose Radius tangent to the angles , radii etc. Then I find the points in X and in z.This works but I am wondering if I am overlooking a easier quicker way to program?
I would appreciate any input .
Thanks

There are quite a few controls still running on lathes that have no noseradius comp.
The Fanuc 5T, the Yasnac early 2000 series and I am sure there are others. Those and all the people that never learned to use noseradius comp properly and still figure it out.
You can make a chart based on a 1/32 noseradius for every angle on the X and the Z side, for a 45 degree angle the corrective value is .0183", both sides.
30 degrees is .0132 in X and .0229 in Z.
Remember to double the X because a lathe is programmed as a diameter.
For the intersection of a radius to an angle, you will have to calculate.
Look at my website, I was forced to teach this to shops back when these machines were new, I put the method of calculation on the DVD called "Supplemental Math".
Heinz. 614-888-8466.
http://home.columbus.rr.com/hputz

Use G92. If you need to comp different tools then you just have to modify the G92 position in the program. It's not hard. Base your X and Z zero off the turning tool.

These are from an old Haas lathe programming manual.

015.jpg

031.jpg

hd28vsb,

Is it that your control will not accept cutter comp like you said, or does your control not have the option @ all. Does your program still run when you try to comp or do you get an error? Some more info on your control would be helpful.

The lathe runs out of windows , need I say much more. It accepts cutter comp. But it rarely works .
Thanks for all the input from everyone.

Ahh, Thank you...I was thinking it might have been an A2100 as you said it was windoze based.
I "Might" have been able to help you with that one

I looked that up, & it looks like a nice control. Does your unit have the coversational programing feature? If so you might be able to use your tool offset library.

Yes its conversational , when we first got the machine cutter comp worked . Over the years along with other "run time errors" window problems. The comp doesnt work.

Sound like it could be some corrupt dll's. Maybe you could run chkdsk & see what happens. We had this happen with one of our lasers running windows 98. All of a sudden certain features would not work. It might be something simple like that if it used to work.

Back