What's new
What's new

Lathe chuck, 3 jaw hydraulic / collet

snowshooze

Stainless
Hi Guys,
It seems to me that a guy could make a chuck that was a standard hydraulic 3 jaw, and also have the provision for screwing a collet into it.
The same tube could pull the common point and actuate.
Does this type of chuck exist in nature?
I can almost see it without even pulling out a pencil and paper.
If so, I'd sure like to have one as I am constantly hopping between bar stock and chucker parts.
Thanks,
Mark

Thanks;
That is just an amazing chuck and video...
But dammit, they over-engineered this so bad it kills me.
Too many insert parts.
If you consider the draw-tube and three jaw, and how one would profile the bore of the three-jaw... and thread it in the moving element...
We could send these guys packing.
It doesn't have to be that hard.
But I know you can understand the concept I am thinking about.

But again, that WAS impressive.
But the overdone modular system is impressive more in the reality that they could bolt that much hardware up and still be on center.
I don't really want to have to butcher up my 8" A2-6.... but I bet these chucks come, as you warned... a bit on the high side.
But there... well.. that is how we won the war. We looked at what they did and applied common sense.
Thank you for posting this up!!!

Try these guys:

Jaw chuck B-Top3

Hold on to your wallet though. I've seen something similar from Schunk also.

Just bore a set of jaws to suit collet pads appropriate to the size chuck you have. Been doing that since 78 with great results.

I've been toying with this exact idea for some time now and just have not gotten around to doing it yet. I know that the concept works, as I've seen others posting the same with examples, but what I'm interested in is finding out just exactly how well it works with regard to concentricity repeatability. I use these quite a bit - 5C Adapter and they work very well, but some times one needs to fiddle around with them to ensure concentricity. I would say they repeat +/- .002 -.0015 very well, but if one needs them any closer one needs to indicate each part piece to make sure. How well do the WS pads repeat?

I used to own some machines that had chucks that would take a 5c collet . They were named Wadell. They were made in USA and very good machines. Think they were made in New Jersey. I had 4 of them when I sold my shop in 1996. They were automatic turret lathes that could hold very close sizes.

jimsehr

....How well do the WS pads repeat?

The pads run quite well. .002" TIR is pretty typical. Sometimes better and rarely worse. Attention to cleanliness when re-mounting the top jaws is important! Of course, obvious to most, but not all, will be to put the top jaws on the proper master jaw. You know 1 to 1 and 2 to 2 and..... Believe it or not, I've seen it done wrong. If one needs concentricity better than that you can get soft pads and take a clean up bore or just run the job in regular softjaws.

Another nice thing about using turret lathe collet pads in bored soft jaws is that you can hold SQUARE and HEX stock if you have the right size pads. I have a bunch of pads from #3 and #5 W&S turrets.
jimsehr

Another nice thing about using turret lathe collet pads in bored soft jaws is that you can hold SQUARE and HEX stock if you have the right size pads.

+1 on this. The need to hold 3" HR 4140 square bars was the motivation that made me think to make a set of collet pad jaws way back when.

Now that is a practical way out. Very worthy.
But I would like to actually have the collet taper in the chuck, and the internal of the draw-tube threaded. When you actuate, the masters move, as well as the collet. Only difference being is ... do you have a collet in there, or jaws.
Now, as you can probably guess, I am new to this CNC stuff, and my 20 HP Clausing Storm... I have yet to pull the chuck and see the mechanics.
Possibly it is harder than I am thinking.
But my way... toss the jaws, screw in a collet and go. You can see it, right?

Another nice thing about using turret lathe collet pads in bored soft jaws is that you can hold SQUARE and HEX stock if you have the right size pads. I have a bunch of pads from #3 and #5 W&S turrets.
jimsehr

Showshooze
( toss the jaws, screw in a collet and go) Is the way the Wadell turret lathes worked. If you can find a pic
of them you will have just what you want. Three of my machines took 5c collets and one of them took 3j
collets.
jimsehr

On the machine in question - for your "different stuff everyday" type app - I think that I would make up a set of jaws for your chuck too. The trouble is that you need to get pads that have the same # of splits as your jaw chuck. (3, 4, or 6 jaw/pads/set)

From S26 on up (2.625 capacity) the S style are 4 split.
I don't know about the W@S pads?

I would think that you would want pads up to 4" maybe?

-------------------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

OX
In my old Hardinge catolog Hardinge has W&S 3 , 4, and 6 split pads listed and some of the W&S pads even go up to 4.5 dia. Hardinge MP2501 stock number.
jimsehr

Some Hardinge CNC lathes have a collet nose built right into the spindle nose. Just pull the chuck off and you can use collets directly.

I thought that we won the war by out producing.
Not trimming fat.

???

-----------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

Back