What's new
What's new

The Friday OT: I'm an idiot

Boris

Titanium
Ok, the boss has given me a part to make on the 4 axis VMC consisting of a long AL tube 1&1/4" dia to be drilled and milled
We've done the part before on the older 4th axis machine so we've got a program and a setup sheet and a mounting mandrel with a left hand thread :)
I screwed up the part on the mandrel with a left hand thread, and put a tailstock in the other end.
And it time to test run the modified program to drill the centers for the holes, then put the pilot holes in (had to modify it a bit to suit the 530i control)
All goes well :smoking:
I then think "ahh best I make sure its still tight on its left handed mandrel before running the milling bits" and promptly undid it losing the 4th axis position as a result :bawling:

Damned lefthanded threads.. why could'nt they be nice sensible right handed ones? :angry:

Boris

Perhaps I should have taken the hint from the setup sheet:-
"Alternative method: run out of the factory screaming 'no no not this job again' and dont come back for 2 weeks" :D

And if it hadn't been tight, you'd have lost position anyway. I'd stick an indicator (clock if you prefer) in the spindle and torque the thing back up until one of the holes sweeps in.

Alternative...
Crank it up tight, sweep the feature, and then reset the A axis to match.

Accidentally.
I was speeding up my program by adjusting my Z return level so it wouldn't go up so high between cuts (using CAM). Slapped the program in with the supreme confidence of a freaking genius without running a simulation (extra 2 minutes). My freaking genius title (self titled) went out the window when the endmill rapided into the bottom of the vise. So now I have a 1/4" deep, 1/2" diameter hole in my Kurt vise. Fortunately it didn't go deep enough to penetrate into the threaded bar. Freaking Idiot (new title).

Back