What's new
What's new

Bridgeport Ajax retrofit

madmachinst

Stainless
I'm ready to take the plunge. Who has done it? Iam going with the centroid kit that comes with the servos. I know some basic wiring, a little about Bridge rectifiers and switches. Anything else I should be very familiar before I jump in? What have your experiences been retrofitting your BP?

How are they about helping when you have questions during the install?

Is there a reason that I need a SSD instead of a standard Hard drive?

I think I will have plenty of questions so thanks for all teh help.

Depending on the model of Bridgeport you have, you may need to machine some simple adapter plates to mount Centroid's square-flange motors in place of the Bridgeport round-face motors.

Be sure to retain some sort of drip cover over the Y axis servo motor.

The SSD is more resistant to machine vibration. If your PC is in an enclosure mounted to the milling machine frame, you should use an SSD. If the PC is mounted elsewhere, then you can just as well use a conventional hard drive.

Theer is always the original Y axis drip cover. Basically my servo motors have square plates that seem to have the same bolt hole pattern as the new servos. I'm gonna try using the current drive that I have and then later on look up an SSD. Old V2xt had a western digital HD in it.

I have a 110 flood pump. Think I can hook that up directly to one of the relays in the all in one card or do I need to get a separate contactor?

A friend of mine got a kit from Mach Motion. It was the one that comes with new AC servo motors. He said the install was pretty easy, and he's had good luck with it since. Looks like it runs about $6K. What is the cost of the Centroid kit? I've heard that they are costly and don't have very good support, but I've also read other posts that say the Centroid control was running reliably for years.

I just completed a retrofit of a Bridgeport R2C3 machine with the CENTRIOD complete kit, new axis motors, control and everything wired. I had done a Servo Products to another machine years ago, and had to make half the motor mounts, and wire up all the controls, I was not in the mood this time.
This machien had a Heidenahin control that worked when I got the machine but had issues, like my inability to program it, for one.
Of note, the new axis motors may OR may not fit the existing SEM bolt holes, the only one that fit on mine was the X-axis motor, the worst was the Z, which required redrilling the four holes. I understand they have adapter plates, but that really does not solve the issue, just takes some time to make them fit. The control cabinet is smaller than the original, so you have to fabricate a new lower mount, again not difficult, it just takes an afternoon. The cabinet came wired for all the limit switches and such, all goes on just fine. The local rep was great in setting up and tuning the motors and completing the install, all works great, could not be happier.
Please.... stop,... and rebuild the way lubrication system while you have the machine down, I replaced all the meters, and pump screen parts, as well as some lenths of tubing to ensure that all the ways had the proper lubrication, and it is well worth the peace of mind.
They have some great accessories, touch probe and such which should really speed up the operation and set up of the machine.
Now I just need to run it and make some parts. I could not be more pleased,

I could not be happier with my V2xt Bport converted to centroid M400 control. 4 years now, not one problem, easy to program, easy to run, beats the hell out of sending many pounds of $100s to EMI and then having it do some crazy move when ever it wants to. Your going to love the centroin after using that Boss POS

another ? do I need a spdt relay for the pneumatics like air brake and speed changer? I plan on using one spdt for the inverter forward and reverse and that leaves one spdt free and 8 spst relays.

E stop
Lube pump ( I suspect that needs a relay too)
Coolant pump ( one more relay)
Inverter (powering up the spdt that does FOR/REV)
Inverter Fault

Should I power up control enclosure fan on an SPST relay?

Anybody hook up a encoder to the spindle for RPM and Hard tapping?

I am also intersted in utilizing the MPG on the quill housing for z axis. Who's done that and how?

A friend of mine got a kit from Mach Motion. It was the one that comes with new AC servo motors. He said the install was pretty easy, and he's had good luck with it since. Looks like it runs about $6K. What is the cost of the Centroid kit? I've heard that they are costly and don't have very good support, but I've also read other posts that say the Centroid control was running reliably for years.

In regards to support if you need help right away prepare to pay $60 an hr for phone time and I really think that stinks. They will though answer your e mails by the next day. I for ex have a ton of questions and I have to play e mail tag with the tech. I don't think that they can be that busy.
Thats the case with ajax and the controller with jog panel and 3 servos power supply and some other minor stuff $7000

another ? do I need a spdt relay for the pneumatics like air brake and speed changer? I plan on using one spdt for the inverter forward and reverse and that leaves one spdt free and 8 spst relays.

E stop
Lube pump ( I suspect that needs a relay too)
Coolant pump ( one more relay)
Inverter (powering up the spdt that does FOR/REV)
Inverter Fault

If you are using an inverter, then it is nice to have the fault reset output. But if you are using an inverter, then you don't need the speed changer.

In any case, if you are not using Mist coolant, Rotary Table Clamp, or the spare OUT9 relay, then you have the three relays you would need for speed up, speed down and spindle brake.

Yes, you should use the Lube output relay to power the lube pump. Save yourself some headaches and install a surge suppressor (e.g. Quencharc) across the Bijur lube motor during your retrofit. They can generate a significant spike when they are turned off.

Should I power up control enclosure fan on an SPST relay?

No, you should wire the cabinet fan to run all the time. If you don't like the noise while the machine is sitting idle, you could probably get away with wiring it through an Aux contact on your E-stop contactor, so it goes off when you press Emergency Stop. However, I would not advise that if you have an especially hot environment.

Anybody hook up a encoder to the spindle for RPM and Hard tapping?

Yes. See Rigid Tapping Adapter.

I am also intersted in utilizing the MPG on the quill housing for z axis. Who's done that and how?

Centroid and Ajax provide the pin-out for the MPG header on the All-in-one unit. You just need to wire in the differential encoder signal, axis select switch, and increment select switch as indicated. If the existing pulse coder does not have a differential output, then you will need to install a signal converter.

Back