What's new
What's new

Castrol Syntilo AL 20 coolant

red beard

Cast Iron
My Dad (also my boss) recently bought a 55 gal. drum of Castrol Syntilo AL 20 on eBay. We've been using TrimSol for years with no problems. I'd rather keep using TrimSol, but the Castrol was cheap and my dad can't pass up a good deal.

The drum was delivered yesterday. The concentrate smells nasty, kind of like a wet dog that was rolling in a pile of dead fish. I mixed up a bucket at 5% concentration and it doesn't smell quite as bad, but still not nearly as nice as TrimSol. I think it's supposed to smell that way because I have been in other shops that have a very similar odor.

I was wondering if anyone here has used this coolant and had any opinions of it. Can it cause skin irritation? I know it was designed for cutting aluminum, but how well does it work with other materials? We machine mostly aluminum and stainless, and occasionally some steel and plastics (UHMW, HDPE, nylon, Delrin, PVC).

It doesn't seem to have as much lubricity as the TrimSol and I was wondering if that might be a problem with stainless.

-Aaron

Sorry, but IME that sounds about right for Castrol coolants all round,and I never rated them ..........especially the smell!!

Off load it, or keep that drum for the bad times.

Take care. Sami

Back