What's new
What's new

Lead free brass tips please, Fadal VMC15XT

Tap_or_Die

Cast Iron
Hey guys,

Well new FDA guide lines are requiring a big change, no lead in any material that contacts water that is deemed drinkable. This has been a regulation for years but this year there is no tolerance. So it is forcing us to possibly change some of our products to lead free brass castings.

Any tips on machining this stuff? All I do know is that machinability in the handbook is only 30%. That may have changed over the years with different alloys and the newer technology in tooling. Going to be drilling, tapping, reaming, and milling.

Any advice will be greatly appreciated,
Jesse

I've cut lots of lead free aluminum "Bronze" and it's nasty stuff, I have to treat it about like 316 stainless, it chews up inserts and drills pretty quick.

Not sure where I read it but Chase Brass in Ohio was producing a new patented lead free

brass for water fittings that is close to the machinability of regular brass. Might contact them

for info. RD

I have not werked with the lead free yet, but in the many times that I have talked with the guys at Chase, it seems that that article in the magazine the other day WAY over-rated how that lead-free works. I have always heard that it is more like Stainless than anything. ...and I didn't get the feeling that they were talking 303 either...

----------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

Well it looks like there is some light at the end of the tunnel, today I found out the alloy I'm working with is c85870, Ecobrass, which according to Ecobrass, is said to have a machineability of 80-100%. We shall see tomorrow if I get around to cutting. I did however use an insert as a test, just holding it with fingers and scribing the surface of both fc brass and the c85870, they seem similar...

well i did get to cut this stuff, using a 5/8 4f sc em, at 500sfm/3056rpm, and a feed rate of .004 per tooth. It cut well, no chatter and a good chip color, i got some heat and a jagged flashing on the shoulders.

on the drills i had to turn the rpm down and the feed rate up, so im running 50sfm, and a chip load of .003-.010 depending on size of drill. i got some squeal on the peck, but it cut good.

it does seem to deform a little tho, especially on the drills.

So I have a chance to play around with a little more of this eco brass stuff, its not a bad material, but it can get mad fast. Im running 250-350 sfm on most tools, and feed rates of .002-.006 ipr. I had to start using coolant when I turned the surface speed up, to add lubrication and keep everything cool. This eco brass wants to heat up as soon as to touch it, no matter the speed and feed. Its about 150% longer run time than the regular leaded brass.

Back