What's new
What's new

taper end milling cutter

sinha

Titanium
What is the best method for drilling a 5 mm deep tapered hole (with Morse taper) of 3 mm nominal diameter in commercially pure titanium? Are accurate tapered end mills available?

What is the best method for drilling a 5 mm deep tapered hole (with Morse taper) of 3 mm nominal diameter in commercially pure titanium? Are accurate tapered end mills available?

Typically something like this would be done with a tapered reamer, rather than tapered endmill.
Endmills are designed to traverse, and if they plunge cut its an added feature.
Reamers are designed to plunge into a hole.

Now using a morse taper reamer in titanium... That I don't know anything about.
Make sure your coolant had good concentration, and the tool is VERY sharp. These are general things about titanium.

Thanks a lot for the useful information.
Since the taper is small, can we use the reamer directly into a straight hole, or do we need to somehow make the tapered hole first?

While not directly related to your question, I do know that MT reamers LOVE to jam into the pilot hole when using them on an engine lathe. The one I used relied on the friction fit in the tailstock to prevent it from spinning which allowed it some leaway when it grabbed.

In your case, it would probably be better to start with a straight rather than tapered holed.

I don't know anything about using a morse taper reamer in titanium, but if you are working with CP2 titanium, count yourself lucky. Maybe you know already, but it cuts well, even with HSS tooling. Just go slow speed and relatively heavy feed. Alloyed grades wouldn't be as forgiving.

I don't think you'll have too much trouble making it. I wouldn't expect the smoothest finish, especially once the tool starts wearing down.

Back