What's new
What's new

Leaking Coolant troughs repair questions...

Pete from TN

Cast Iron
Hey fellas,
I have recently purchased this 1994 Cincinatti Arrow 500 VMC. It is undergoing a retrofit that is nearly completed but we recently wanted to test out the machine and purchased some Master Chemical Trim Sol E206 for it. When we started to fill the troughs we were dismayed to find that both of them leaked a bit. Basically there were quite a lot of chips left to rust in the base of the machine while it sat unused for awhile from the previous owner before I bought it. We pulled the troughs out and found that there are tiny pits and craters in the base of the troughs. Some of the larger ones are the cause apparently of the leaks.

I am looking to hear about any of you guys having similar issues and how you dealt with them. I can of course remove the bases of the troughs and tig weld on some new steel but that is gonna be costly and time consuming. I was considering using some kinda epoxy sealer or something to fill the tiny holes and then paint the whole thing with some epoxy based industrial paint once it is finished. Really wonder why they did not make these troughs out of stainless steel but what are ya gonna do right? Has anyone here had a similar issue and ifso how did you repair them and did it work long term. How does the Trim Sol affect the epoxy paints? Any input here would be appreciated. I would really like to get this machine running here soon and be able to use the flood coolant. Thanks and peace

Pete

Was thinking....

I was thinking about prepping the steel and using the epoxy primer and epoxy paint to seal up after tig welding the majority of the pinholes shut...peace

Pete

Sand blast and then polyester with a single layer of fiberglas Also the sides so you have a watertight polyester container supported by the steel structure

Peter from Holland

Peter,
Nice to meet you Peter, I'm Peter too LOL...have you ever done this and does the polyester resin hold up to the coolant and grease etc....? Thanks for the tips. Honestly I would love to think this would work as it would be a much cheaper route than the epoxy alternatives ....Peace

Pete

We did it on the coolant tray of a big grinder once
Just did the bottem and thats why it hold up only 12 years or so
It was not even sandblasted Just cleaned it with a wirebrush on a angle grinder

peter from holland

Back