What's new
What's new

What to do with "spent" chuck jaws

matt_isserstedt

Diamond
By "spent" I mean bored down to the mounting bolt's counterbore, from both ends, or nearly so, some have broken thru.

These are 1018 jaws for an Howa 8" chuck, 60 deg x 1.5mm "gripper pitch" on them if it matters. Mostly Daco Jaws from the logo on the side. "Short" as in maybe 1-1/4" wide x 1-1/4" tall.
At first I considered adding a nice lot to the scrap metal bin, but I had the idea they could be useful as bases for welding things onto? :confused:

I don't really know about any other uses, this is my first turning center, first time I've used soft jaws...please help with guidance.

Thanks!

Just for valuation purposes, you can buy jaws with more life left in them for $10-15 each on ebay. I toss them. I used to keep one junk set around 'just in case' because I'm a packrat, never needed them though.

I take a slugs of 1.25" (or whatever) diameter 1018 about 2" long and weld it to the jaws and keep using them until the serrations stop repeating. I've always wanted to make a contraption to help with welding slugs on the jaws since I do it so often.

IMG_0513 (Small).JPG

You can also flip them over and use them as a fixture to machine softjaws in your mill.

I have found myself (lately) in the rare position of NEEDING some "spent" soft jaws to weld blocks onto...and NOT having any around! I hate getting a new set and having to chop off a ton of material.

You can also flip them over and use them as a fixture to machine softjaws in your mill.

I had to read your post several different times to fully understand what you meant. I felt kinda dumb after it finally dawned on me. :dunce:

Use an old soft jaw with the serrations UP in a vise and bolt your 'to be cut' jaws to it. The bottom jaw essentially simulates the master jaws in the CNC chuck as the 60° serrations are stacked. Repeat for other two top jaws without disturbing the bottom 'master jaw' in the vise.

That is what I do. I had to figure a way to machine a profile into my jaws WITHOUT removing the chuck and taking the whole shebang to the milling machine.

Doug.

Apply sods law, if you toss them in the scrap, you will need em next month, keep a few on the shelf ''just in case'' you need em, which of course you never will.

My life goal being to defeat sods law:D I'd put a few sets on the shelf.

Back