What's new
What's new

Learning a Fanuc 180is-MB control

Zahnrad Kopf

Diamond
I need to learn the ins and outs of a Fanuc 180is control. Anything I need to be aware of as far as "gotchas"? Anyone have or know of any resources to get up to speed with it? Thanks.

Your best bet would be the machine builders instruction manuals. The 180is is of the family of controls where the machine builder can create a totally custom user interface and screens. If you post what machine this is on it should narrow down the field.

What controls do you already know?

Oh boy... I have not had to think about that in a very long time... LOL. I've used most of them out there over the last 25 years but for whatever reason I have not had to Fanuc in probably two decades. It simply just has not come up. And..., frankly, 99% of the time everything is done in CAM.

But... here we are. This will be run from CAM most of the time as well, but I don't wish to be completely ignorant of the control. As well, I'd like to know about any specific features that would be useful, OR a pain in my butt. Plus, I imagine that I'm going to need to make/modify a post to run it.

Your best bet would be the machine builders instruction manuals. The 180is is of the family of controls where the machine builder can create a totally custom user interface and screens. If you post what machine this is on it should narrow down the field.

OKK MDV55. I have the books, and have made plans to start into them tomorrow, but I would still love to hear from people regarding their personal experiences. There are always those little tidbits that can really hurt and really help someone that are never quite covered well in books...

Thanks.

if ya want to keep it to a minimum, here'a a short list of what to figure out 1st. (you probably already know this, but. . . )

1) home the machine- ( you may not need to do this)
3) set tool lengths
4)get tools in and out of the spindle and the tool changer
5) set fixture offsets and tweak them.
6) load programs
7 delete programs
8)select programs in memory
9) edit programs

That will get you making parts, you can get fancy later.

Back