What's new
What's new

Best dealer for new S26 collet pads and 21SC collets

viper

Titanium
We have bought a few of these for a new lathe on the used market but looking for a good new resource in case we need something in a hurry. I would also like to get some spare parts for both chucks, especially those little lock wedges for the S26.

Is that a Brown & Sharp #21 screw machine collet? If so, Mark Davis here on the board had some basic sets of new eastern European imports for a very reasonable price. I bought a set from him for a small programmable turret lathe I've got, and was very pleased with the quality.

For the odd sizes, Hardinge stocks a full line. Not cheap, but typical HB quality for sure. They're also available in hexes and squares as well as a full range of metric rounds.

While the definition of "cheap" vary from people to people, I find Hardinge's collet pricing very very reasonable.
Their quality is also top notch and their "collet concept" actually makes sense.
IOW a 1/2" 5C collet should measure .5000 when properly closed, and not when fully open. Royal makes nice closers but sure as hell make sucky collets.
Anyway, I think the S26 serrated collets are like $56 from Hardinge.
They stock fractional and metric, serrated and solid. There are also decimals and emergency collets. In addition you can send them a print and they make a custom collet to fit your application.

Now, this is funny and sure to get someone in hot water.
I have at least 300+ Hardinge collets, many of them S26. I have always ordered them from this site:
http://www.hardingetooling.com/

At this time it shows that the site is under construction and it also does so in many languages.
Obviously someone has F@#$%cked up royally somewhere!!!
Anyway, if the site ever gets up and running just type in S26 in the search bar to get there.

Another vote for Hardinge. They are quick to ship and priced reasonable.
Ordering online is pretty handy too.

For the most part I have found that the Hardinge tooling in general is priced reasonable. They have quite a wide offering too. Not all is made by them though.

Just tried to go to the Hardinge site and Firefox blocked it. This is their explanation why:

Safe Browsing
Diagnostic page for hardingetooling.com

What is the current listing status for hardingetooling.com?

Site is listed as suspicious - visiting this web site may harm your computer.

Part of this site was listed for suspicious activity 1 time(s) over the past 90 days.

What happened when Google visited this site?

Of the 30 pages we tested on the site over the past 90 days, 3 page(s) resulted in malicious software being downloaded and installed without user consent. The last time Google visited this site was on 2008-12-30, and the last time suspicious content was found on this site was on 2008-12-30.

Malicious software includes 3 scripting exploit(s). Successful infection resulted in an average of 4 new processes on the target machine.

Malicious software is hosted on 3 domain(s), including mcuve.cn/, 17gamo.com/, steoo.com/.

This site was hosted on 1 network(s) including AS16805 (FASTSERVERS).

Has this site acted as an intermediary resulting in further distribution of malware?

Over the past 90 days, hardingetooling.com did not appear to function as an intermediary for the infection of any sites.

Has this site hosted malware?

No, this site has not hosted malicious software over the past 90 days.

How did this happen?

In some cases, third parties can add malicious code to legitimate sites, which would cause us to show the warning message.

Next steps:

* Return to the previous page.
* If you are the owner of this web site, you can request a review of your site using Google Webmaster Tools. More information about the review process is available in Google's Webmaster Help Center.

I was wanting to call Hardingetool. Does someone have the number since I cannot access their website?

I would agree, 56 bucks for a set of pads is not bad at all. I just hope they run as concentric as other solid collets.

Viper, by the nature of a master/sub pad, the S26 collets don't run as true as a solid collet. The spec for an S26/30 collet is .005 runout. These are intended for first operation chucking, not second operation machining where tight tolerances can be a problem. In that case, soft jaws are probably your solution to repeatable workholding.

Ox, you and I are both off base regarding price. They are a bit more.

Regarding concentricity, I might be a bit pissed with .005 TIR. I know we have fought taper before in parts because of runout in our chuck. I was hoping by having a collet chuck, that would fix most of it, Guess not. We run parts 3-4" long some times and runout can bite us if we are trying to stay tight to our stock OD size. I can actually see the wobble clear as day.

Can I chase a hard collet pad with a boring bar to true it?

I did want to ask about clamping ranging range with these. Do I need to stay very tight to stock size? I realize clamp time can be a factor here but is there a TIR problem in using a larger collet that takes a bit to clamp down? I ask only because I know we will get hit with the one size we do not have at some point.

I wouldn't want to hafta try boring hard pads.

You are aware that they offer soft blanks eh? (Emergencies)

My Hardinge S-26 pull-back setup opens a LONG way to allow burred bar ends and other whatnots to slide through with ease when loading/feeding. They are also more forgiving for stock D variations as well. They will prolly accept a .020 variation from nominall w/o eny issues. My S20's don't open nearly as far and are much less forgiving.

My B65 (S22) Dead-length collet setup hardly opens enough for good stock to slide sometimes and has very little forgiveness for stock size fluctuation.

The S-20's are more in the $50 area. 26's fetch aboot half aggin?

------------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

Back