What's new
What's new

Tools on a CNC Mill

Big John T

Aluminum
Is there any rime or reason for putting certain tools in tool numbers of your CNC controller?

For example would it make any sense to have end mills for the first few tools
Tool #1 = 1/8"
Tool #2 = 2/8"
Tool #3 = 3/8"
etc. up to a reasonable size?

I have 99 possible tools in my controller...
Does it make sense to use 99 for a drill bit as there is no offset when using a drill bit...

Just thinking out loud and trying to come up with a common sense way to set up my tools...

John

How many tools can you load at once? I put my most used tools in the machine and the order they run...
T1= CENTERDRILL
T2= .201 DRILL
T3= THRU T15 MORE NOMINAL DRILL SIZES
T16 THRU 20 MOST USED TAPS
T21= .500 ROUGHER
T22= .500 FINISHMILL
T23= .75 ROUGHMILL
T24= THREAD MILL
THEN ALL BNOSE MILL
ETC...
DOSNT REALLY MATTER AS LONG AS YOU KEEP A LIST BUT IT HELPS WITH TOOL CHANGE TIME

John
I have a similar machine and I use 1-20 for my most commonly used tools. I have enough tool holders that I have about 16 tools set up at any one time and a couple of special tools that stay set up. I use tool 99 as my standard and it never changes, all my offsets are set to that. I dont think it matters how you do it but if you are going to have other people run your machine keep it simple. Tool 1 is a center drill, tool two through four are drill chucks and start your most common end mills from there. That is what I find works the best for me.

Charles

Big John-Did you find a mill? I remember you were looking at a Lagun, right?

On the Sharp at work w/o a toolchanger, I use the order they are used in the program: 1,2,3 .... I don't have very many toolholders and it's easy to change so I don't leave any set. I also don't like scrolling down to find tool #99. Also I touch off on the work not the fixed jaw (there's no way to set work offsets with this control that I aware of) so keeping Z-offsets is pointless. With a CNC knee mill's short Z travel, I'm always raising and lowering the knee for different tools and set-ups which also renders the Z-offsets pointless.

On a mill with a toolchanger, CNC Jacks method is good. We used to reserve Tool 50 as an empty drill chuck for indicating.

Jon

Ive tried to keep my tools organised but it always ends up a complete mess.I'm not the only one who uses it. I have some cutters that always stay the same, only about 10.
with the rest of them I'm always looking at the carousel to find the right tool. Got to get organised.

Back