What's new
What's new

lifting yang smv 1000 by fork lift and crane?

lowCountryCamo

Stainless
I am going to pick up a 2000 yang smv 1000 like in the pic. I have seen weighting at 10,000. Sunbelt has a 10k lift and the 15k is a little out of reach cash wise. Not being cheap just reaching my limit. When I return I have a good friend with a crane. The only installation manuals I have seen, hass and fadal, show provisions for lifting by crane. Is anyone familiar with this machine? As far as lifting from the rear with a forklift, from the pic below it looks like much of the weigh is near the rear. I know that makes a difference. We will roll out with machinery skates and lift outside. Any tips or help I could get would be like gold to me. Anyone by chance have a manual they could look? I have read that at one time Hardinge/Bridgeport made there machines at this factory. I don't know if that is true.

Thanks
steve Austin

af11100d0f813c540d29eec7e3ccc01ba4081520.jpgf2ce65ccd433504926d06dde5135f25463564514.jpg

The last vmc we lift had 2 eyes bolt hole on top of the z column in the back and 2 other under the y way cover in the front to list evenly use different sling lenght and should be good for the crane. For the forklift i have no clue to be honest.

for a taiwanese 40 x 20 my bet is you can move it with a 8k forklift without much issue. One may even be able to move it with a 5k.... I know I have moved Cincinnati Milacron Arrow 750's ( 30 x 20 x 20) with a 5k lift before.... its a bit tricky but it can be done.

I had an Amera Seiki VAS-3 20x40 machine and it weighed in at 12500 lbs. Looks a lot like that yang machine. These machines are difficult to pick up using tow jacks because of all the sheet metal around the base. I would rent a set of machine skates and a 8000 lb lift. The forklift can be used to pickup one side and put the jacks under it and then repositioned to the other side to lift and drag the machine outside so you can lift with a crane. Using a crane to pick up a VMC usually requires taking the front way cover off to attach an eye hook. This method is not used very much because it is much easier to lift with a large forklift which most machinery movers have. Might be cheaper to have a machinery mover do the move than renting forklifts and skates and having to have a forklift on both sides of the move. Just a few thoughts from someone who has moved a few machines.

Most 10k rated trucks will pick up about 12K in my experience. Put it in neutral and rev it a bit while lifting.

The eyebolts will be metric. M18 or larger would be my guess.

Most 10k rated trucks will pick up about 12K in my experience. Put it in neutral and rev it a bit while lifting.

The eyebolts will be metric. M18 or larger would be my guess.
You par right mine were M18 hole since its a taiwan import. So i would guess yours will be metric too.

Buying from a dealer or individual? Ask them if there are eyebolts present or holes for them. The Yang manuals should show lifting methods.

I have lifted machines with overhead cranes using beams under the base that are longer than the covers and spreader bars over the machine to keep the chains off the covers.

That machine weighs more than 8,000 pounds!! That machine weighs at least 10k, maybe 12 to 14k. These Yang machines aren't built as light as you think.

I for one wouldn't want to be trying to lift that machine with a 10k lift. Remember, the forklift rating is based on the load center being only 24" off the mast. On a large machine like this one, your load center will probably be 48" away from the mast, maybe more. Thus the forklift rating falls off significantly.

I wouldn't use anything less than a 15k lift. Better yet, save yourself a potentially big headache and hire riggers to do the job.

ToolCat

hi I have a supermax and it looks about the same size and its weighs 13000, and as for a fork lift make sure to get the extra long forks. When I moved mine we could have used a foot longer fork and it was a 15000 pound lift

Good info. I am always surprised how many people forget the load center on a forklift. Kinda like when I send a 110 ton crane out to a job to pick 50 ton and they want it 100 feet from center of radius!
I would not want to pick something that spendy with something I had to "put in neutral and rev the engine" to lift.

That machine weighs more than 8,000 pounds, I would bet money. Closer to 10k, maybe even 12! These Yang machines aren't built as light as you think.

I for one wouldn't want to be trying to lift that machine with a 10k life. Remember, the forklift rating is based on the load center being only 24" off the mast. On a large machine like this one, your load center will probably be 48" away from the mast, maybe more. Thus the forklift rating falls off significantly.

I wouldn't use anything less than a 15k lift. Better yet, save yourself a potentially big headache and hire riggers to do the job.

ToolCat

ToolCat

I tend towards "I'll move it / I'll go get it", but my exception to my rule is when professional riggers are involved. You can put that expense on a credit card, and just make payments; when a machine is damaged, IF you are lucky, you can find parts.... but most likely you are the one tracking the parts down.

When any machine tool is damaged, anything is at least $100, even handwheels, or end bells (or fans) on motors.

A professional rigger is peace of mind. I don't consider a wrecker service a professional rigger, unless you know the person and equipment to ask for.

sure you can lift it with a crane just have to rig it right.
But you would be surprised how cheap machinery movers are sometimes.
It was cheaper to hire a mover then to rent a forklift and a trailer when I bought my vmc40.

I looked for a rigger for the weekend and could not find anything that soon. No surprise. So instead of winging it I am just going to finalize the sale and get a close look to understand the best way to do this. Thank you all for advise and help. I will update what I learn for future searchers.

Went down to look at and pay for this machine. I got the books and the owners manual claims a 5 ton lift is needed. Under specs net weight is 3700kg(8150lbs) and gross weight is 4200kg (9250lbs). What could this 1100lbs difference account for? Searched these terms and they seem to be common specs given for other machines. Does the gross include the weight of full tank, chips, tool holders, vice, etc? Or possibly factory crating? Manual gives locations for crane rigging at column rear and under front way cover. Also diagrams forklifting from the front but the column and mass appears to by all in the rear. I guess they know best? Thanks.

Well, if it was me in your shoes I would probably be looking at trucking it from the rear of the column, and using a fork truck that is rated at least 1.5 to 2 times of the weight of the machine. Try to get the machine secured as close to the forktruck head as possible (do not try to lift the full weight of the machine on the fork tips. They are NOT designed to handle that. You might bend the forks, or worse.

When it comes to forklifts, especially if you have to go over uneven ground or up a rise at all, bigger is better. Give yourself plenty of safety factor.

As for the manual instructions, I would get a second opinion rather than taking driving instructions from an Asian machine tool builder. I'm sure we have all seen what passes for work-safe practices in some eastern parts of the world, including some pics that have been posted on this site I'm sure.......

D.

My 4020 Akira Sieki looks almost identical to that machine. It has a sticker on the enclosure that says 5 ton forklift can lift it from the side. I had it loaded with a 10K lift and it was moved around the riggers warehouse with a 6K lift a few inches off the ground, but that was not enough capacity to load onto a trailer.

I bought a 12X42 Thompson Model B grinder at the same time as that VMC and the Thompson grinder was near double the weight of that VMC. I thought it was funny because the seller's claimed the VMC was around 15K and the grinder was 7K. It was the total opposite.

I have a few bars I use for rigging- 3, 6 and 8' bars. If I can lift each side with the 6' bar it's under 10K. If the 8' bar struggles with my 240 lbs on it it's time for a serious forklift. If you're familiar with using skates you can tell when you skate a machine too by how hard it rolls. A 10K machine rolls pretty easy. Above 15K the imperfections in the floor become clear and obvious.

Back