What's new
What's new

LINEAR VS BOX

PCSCHWENKE

Plastic
The ways over the past 10 years have really improved. If shops do not cut harder materials on linear way machines, I think they are making a big mistake. We run our 3 Haas VF machines with 17-4, custom 465, and other stainless machines daily. I will admit that box machines are more rigid but, not enough to make a huge difference. Our oldest machine is now 8 years old with no problems of holding accuracy or repeatibility. If anyone goes to IMTS, check out who is running steel parts versus aluminum. Haas pounds the heck out of steel with 3" insert drills all day long. Others are running aluminum or re-running over a part already cut.
Paul

I couldn’t agree more! These machines just require a different approach to metal removal than most machinists are use to. I struggled at first but with input from tooling company’s I saw the light and ten years later my Haas still holds tenths. Gene Haas didn’t become the largest machine tool manufacture selling “lightweight junk”.
Carl

I've always had the impression that in comparing linear to box ways, it just depends on how large the linear bearing are. If a linear machine is not rigid enough, then the problem is not so much that it's linear bearing equipped per se, but that the manufacturer did use ~large enough~ linear bearings.

Don,
You are probably right about that. My Fadal doesn't cut like a very rigid machine. Not bad, but could be better. A place where I used to work bought a Hitachi Seiki with linear guides. I'm here to tell ya, that thing was solid as a rock. Much better built than any fadal or Haas. Don't know much about the sizes of the ways on either machine, just know there was a world of difference.

Haas has become famous because of cost and sales
pitches,they are good for the money thats all,they work but not great our 2 year old vf4 with pallet had to have ball screw replaced on z-axis,and our vf7 bent .5 thick tool carosal in half when changer screwed up 3 year old machine.
new shop has hurcos bmc 50 box ways roughs with 2in insert cetter 75 thou deep in h-13 at 175 in min for hours straight ( permanant mold) rock solid that is a real machine

Back