What's new
What's new

Looking for a better approach to make this print

Johnny SolidWorks

Hot Rolled
Hey Gang – Looking for some input on a smart way to make this print in quantities of 25-50 at a time, several times a year, with a manual lathe and VMC with a 5C indexer as a 4th axis. Material is 1018, nothing crazy on any of the tolerances: ±.005” general, two smallest ODs are ±.002” and need to be concentric within .002”

Untitled.jpg

I can think of a couple different approaches, but at some point in each of them I wind up saying to myself “there’s got to be a better way to do that.”

If I turn it down from round and part it off to length, I don’t have anything to hold onto to cut it in half with a slitting saw. And then I don’t have anything to hold onto to put the c’bores and tapped holes in the one side.

If I turn it down from round, part it off long so I have something to hold, put it in the 5C for the mill work and slitting saw, I can pull it out, clamp it with a spacer in and mill the opposite side to length, but that’s a lot of hands-on fussing.

Even if I had a live-tool CNC lathe (turn to size/shape, live tool c’bores and tapped holes, live tool slitting saw) then I’m left with an interrupted cut parting off, which I wouldn’t like. But it’s a moot point, since I don’t have that lathe.

I have a feeling this is one of those situations where I’m missing the obvious solution, so another set of eyes on it would be appreciated.

Thanks all!

Turn it complete. Stick it in a vise, clamping between the front and back faces so that the split is above the jaws. Drill, cbore, split.

I'm guessing I'm going to be the odd man out on this one. I hate lathe work and I hate slitting saws.

OP1: I would put a rectangular bar 3.25"x.750"x6" in a vise and cut 5 halves at a time. Holes, then OD, then use a key seat cutter to do the undercuts and a 45 degree chamfer cutter to do the chamfer.

OP2: On the side with the holes I would put the gang of 5 in the vise and do the side holes.

OP3: Flip into soft jaws to remove the excess stock.

I would add one item Daily's, make a set of vice jaws that hold both the top and bottom halves with a slit in the middle. That way you have control of both halves.

Tom

Back