What's new
What's new

Looking for a live tool extension

Eric U

Hot Rolled
Does anyone make an ER collet version of this heat shrink extension? ISCAR Cutting Tools - Metal Working Tools - ER-SRK : 45762 - ER2 SRK 4X35

I need some clearance with my small live tools (2mm, 3mm endmills) on my Lynx but have heard of issues with small diameter tools in heat shrink. I’m not planning on spending the big bucks on a heat shrink machine so would need to torch them if I went that route.

I’m struggling with runout using straight 1/2” ER16 extensions as they are very thin walled for coolant through and move all over the place when I clamp them in a Collet.

Thanks!

The Eppinger-PreciFlex system has quite a lot of choices when it comes to adapters for the live tools for the lathe.
You would have to buy a live tool holder from them but they're well worth the flexibility they offer.

EXSYS Tool Inc.

My machine came with three Eppinger live tools so that could be an option. Problem is they make them out of gold or something. ~$80 each for some heat shrink extensions is much more reasonable. I was just trying to see if anyone made an ER collet version.

Is this what you want, (Flo Tool is Floyd Automatics house brand name, but they don't sell crap) file:///C:/Users/Mark%20Figes/AppData/Local/Packages/Microsoft.MicrosoftEdge_8wekyb3d8bbwe/TempState/Downloads/FLO-Tool-3.-Quick-Change-Tool-Systems,-Reductions,-Milling-Arbors.pdf

Is this what you want, (Flo Tool is Floyd Automatics house brand name, but they don't sell crap) file:///C:/Users/Mark%20Figes/AppData/Local/Packages/Microsoft.MicrosoftEdge_8wekyb3d8bbwe/TempState/Downloads/FLO-Tool-3.-Quick-Change-Tool-Systems,-Reductions,-Milling-Arbors.pdf

That’s real close to what I’ve been thinking!

That’s real close to what I’ve been thinking!

Thanks Eric, I'm pretty sure Floyds will ship Stateside, .....and they had always been very helpful with me - on the phone and by email, .......but I dare say it will be a little bit spicey on the $ front.

I have something like this. Or maybe exactly this, don't remember where I got it from:

Harvey Tool - Extended Reach Tool Holders

Works very well, but you're still at the mercy of the runout of your ER collet. Which might be the problem to start with regarding your ER extension. I'd check runout on a 1/2" dowel pin, or ground shaft of some kind, to see if it's the collet at fault.

Might also require some fiddling to get the runout low enough. I used mine in an ER-32 and it took a few tries to get it true enough to use.

Works very well, but you're still at the mercy of the runout of your ER collet. Which might be the problem to start with regarding your ER extension. I'd check runout on a 1/2" dowel pin, or ground shaft of some kind, to see if it's the collet at fault.

Might also require some fiddling to get the runout low enough. I used mine in an ER-32 and it took a few tries to get it true enough to use.

I fiddled with everything before tracking it down to the thin hollow tube of my ER extension moving inconsistently when clamping it in the collet. I looked for a solid shank straight ER extension, but doesn’t seem anyone makes these in 1/2” shank. My Eppinger live tools have ER20 nose so 1/2” is as big as I can go.

The Eppinger-PreciFlex system has quite a lot of choices when it comes to adapters for the live tools for the lathe.
You would have to buy a live tool holder from them but they're well worth the flexibility they offer.

EXSYS Tool Inc.

Got a quote today for a single Preciflex ER16 extension: $495. The quote I got for a Heimatec U-Tec quick change extension for my other live tools seemed very reasonable by comparison at $460. Ouch. That heat shrink machine is looking more reasonable all the time.

Nice find Sami, I was aware of Floyd, think I may have bought from them before, but I didn't know they offered these.

Bookmarking that one.

Well, for starters I just bought a new Heimatec U-tec extension off of eBay for $163, shipped. After seeing the $460 price tag for a new one I bit the bullet.

I’m looking into the AB Tools and Harvey Tool versions for my Eppinger live tools. I’m not 100% sure but I don’t think the Floyd offerings would work. I need to fit the low profile live holder nuts on the holders for it to work and they look like they work with normal ER nuts or captured nuts.

I need a total of two extensions for the very low runout stuff I’m trying to do, so I’m 1/2 way there.

You guys were able to find something on that Floyd "link"?
I was able to google their site, but I didn't search it long enough to figure out what tool he was mentioning.

I copy/pasted the address provided here, but it didn't work.

-------------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

You guys were able to find something on that Floyd "link"?
I was able to google their site, but I didn't search it long enough to figure out what tool he was mentioning.

I copy/pasted the address provided here, but it didn't work.

-------------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

It's all PDF downloads. Start here and download whatever you want to look at. The extensions Sami found are in flo-tool chapter 3.

2 extensions for 2 tools ..
do you need tons of toolchanges, extreme rpm ?

A simple solution occurs to me.
Make a fixed toolholder via epoxy mount using hysol locktite 3478. Per tool.
Zero collet repeat error.
Collets are cheap.
Hot oil will break the adhesive.

Lap/grind the tooltips in the spindle, getting zero runout.
You will only be removing 0.01 mm or 10 microns or (much ?) less of material.

Index the tools if needed - witness line, opticals, encoders, plastic collar, whatever is appropriate.
Probably the index is not useful - unless the collet is poor.

This is one of my own ideas and inventions ..
shared here for the first time afaik.

Back