What's new
What's new

Looking at VMC milling machines

cgmaster

Cast Iron
I am looking to upgrade my milling machine. Currently I have a Milltronics VM17 with Centurion 6 control. The machine is excellent and easy to program. I usually use Inventor HSM CAM software.

I want to get a slightly larger machine. I have been looking at machines with over 30x 20Y and 20Z travels. The machine I have now is 30x 20Y and 20Z.

I really like the Milltronics Centurion 6 control but am open to other machines. I am not looking for new but as new as I can get, reliable capable of adding a 4th axis.

I have had good luck with Milltronics support even on older machines. I am curious about Hurco and other machines with conversational controls.

The work I do is usually either small batches or toolroom work making one off parts.

Just looking for some options before pulling the trigger on a used machine. I have been looking at Milltronics, HAAS, Hurco and Fadal

Oh yah. Want to keep it under 20k. But the chapter the better. I have seen a few Dec e bt machines go under 10k at auctions but at the time I want looking.

Just saw a 93 Fadal go for a lil over 5k at local auction. Just to give you ball park number. HOWEVER, take in account the tooling you NEED to buy to make what you mainly do. You can always add more tooling later or get better this or that.

Oh yah. Want to keep it under 20k. But the chapter the better. I have seen a few Dec e bt machines go under 10k at auctions but at the time I want looking.

Typing on your phone???

Go get a Fadal.. CHEAP.. Parts are EVERYWHERE... If you need support, there are at least 5 companies
that will provide it for FREE, and sell you the parts you need (for cheap compared to most makes).
If you can hold your horses for a short bit, and watch the listings, a Fadal with a 4th doesn't go for all that
much more than one without.. And adding one from scratch is NOT the cheapest thing going.

I have been looking tonight at a bunch of listings. The Fadal's and Hurco's look well built. I like my Milltronics and it has been good but does not look as well built as the others. It was my first CNC machine though.

LOL. Yes I was typing on my phone. Fat fingers don't work well on little screens.

What are peoples opinions of the Fadal mills compared to others. Not really doing large production runs just a job shop. Conversational programming was nice getting started with the Milltronics. Does Fadal have conversational as well?

Think I found a Kitamura Mycenter 4 with 4th and 5th axis, tool setter and probing. It has a Yasnac control and seems to be in excellent condition. I can get it much cheaper than what I budgeted.

Any opinions on these machines. I looked a little in the forum and they seem to be good machines. It would be replacing a Milltronics VM17 with Centurion 6

Back