What's new
What's new

M-code to ensure live center is activated?

dstryr

Diamond
Running a production part on the lathe right now. 2" OD tube x 12" long. The chuck end is using an expandable 16c collet to grip the ID of the tube and the other end has a plug that gets pressed in by the live center. Looking for a code or way to not let the program run unless the center activated.
Fanuc oi control on 2004 Doosan Lathe.

Not sure on your machine, but on a Haas if you program the center it will alarm out if it doesn't read the correct pressure. This would not let the machine run.

I take it the older ones don't have prox switches inside. On mine a puma 300 & 240 when the M code to advance the quill is given it wont move until the switch has made contact. If for some reason it goes past the switch it stops the machine.

Brent

the other end has a plug that gets pressed in by the live center. Looking for a code or way to not let the program run unless the center activated.

I guess im not really sure what you are wanting to happen. Are wanting to make sure the plug is pressed in the full depth? Are you trying to make sure the operator didn't forget the plug? Or do you literally mean you dont want the machine to run until the tailstock and live center are ready for action? What kind of tailstock do you have? Tow along? Dose your machine have tailstock macro or how do you position the tailstock and is that at the start of the program? I suppose if it was that important you could give it a M0 after your tailstock routine and pull a visual.

I just looked in my 0i-TD Doosan operators manual and I didn't see any M code that makes sure the center is activated other than the ones that work the quill and the clamp/unclamp. If the machine has no way of telling if the center has made contact and is beating the live center to the part couldn't you just G4 dwell a bit to give it time to get where it needs to be?

Could you provide a little more detail as to what you're actually wanting to have happen? Just kinda thinking out loud here I guess.

Brent

There should be a adjustable prox switch in the tailstock. There is an access panel on the side facing the operator.

There should be a adjustable prox switch in the tailstock. There is an access panel on the side facing the operator.

I mentioned that in post 3. Apparently the older Doosan machines didn't have them. I wasn't really sure what the OP was after. I thought maybe he might have wanted to make a custom M code to move the tailstock back and forth. Not sure.

Brent

Not sure if your lathe has a switch to detect tailstock, mine doesn't so here is what I do for a tailstock job:

:0189(TURN BETWEEN CENTERS)
M1
T0101(55 DEG. TURNING.008R RIGHT)
G50S800
M0(DID YOU CLAMP THE TAILSTOCK?)
G40G96G99S400
M0(DID YOU??)
M63

Makes the operator check twice

Best,
Steve

Back