What's new
What's new

First VMC decison

rb07565

Aluminum
Well I've made my decision on my first used VMC. Price is definitely an issue so it was one of the main deciding factors. After hours on this forum and other internet places, I've decided to go with a Hurco BMC2416 1999 model with Ultimax control. The following were the reasons why.

- Decent rigidity (from what I've read here)
- The combination of conversational programming and G-code (I've done allot of programming on EZ Traks so I wanted at least some conversational) Also allot of the projects in my shop are
rough sketches and not full prints because I do some in house engineering for people. Conversational compliments this process well for me because I'm far from a G-code master.
- Price!!! (had a budget, had to stick to it, 20K)
- Parts seam reasonable (also just from internet research)
- The people on this forum seem to like Hurco compared to other machines in my price range.
- Seemed more flexible for what I do than the older Fadal VMC 15's I was looking at.
- Biggest machine that will fit through my door, LOL

I do have a couple questions. Looking at the possible future..

- How do these machines work with a fourth axis?
- Do machines this old with this control work with CAM software, if so what brand?
- Any major downfalls of these models/year?

This is a big step for my little shop and I'm not that experienced with VMC's. Do any of you have any advice or suggestions before I pull the trigger on this? I would appreciate any advice you all can give me as soon as possible.

Thanks in advance
Robbie

I am in the same boat, almost exactly and am currently looking over a Daewoo DMV 500 but I will look hard at your selection.
Some things I need are chip conveyor, high pressure through spindle coolant... I read some machines have up to 1000 psi ( I have yet to find them ) and I do not know if I need a chiller if I get the spindle coolant...
I need interpolated cutting in xyz&w if I really want to get wild. I am currently looking beyond the Fadal, but there seems to be many of them in my price range.
I am thinking I should pay until it hurts rather than upgrade in a short period of time.

Back