What's new
What's new

Pretty awesome 4th axis setup

I dunno that saw sounds pretty rough to me. Might be better off with an actual right angle tool in the umbrella. Otherwise looks good.

You gotta love it. I keep trying to come up with a slitting saw arbor that runs true... unfortunately most don't run true to the bore! Oh well...maybe some day. Thanks for showing this!

Steve

You gotta love it. I keep trying to come up with a slitting saw arbor that runs true... unfortunately most don't run true to the bore! Oh well...maybe some day. Thanks for showing this!

Steve

Have to make one...I haven't had any luck with store bought ones.

Clever, nice to see someone using their loaf.

As for the slitting saw noise, directing the coolant flow at the saw while it's cutting might improve things a lot, ....... that knocking as the saw cut reminds me of chips clogging the gullets.

Good way to make the process hands free.

I wonder if you could enhance the slitting saw performance by slowing rotating A while slitting. It seems to me it should cut off quicker than it is, and rotating the bar will decrease the load on the saw so that you could probably feed it a bit more aggressively.

I would recommend that the saw be changed to an alternate tooth chamfer, such as made by Robb Jack. We cut off thousands of parts (in steel) + use a slitting saw cut as part of the actual part in our lathe and I feel that they make the very best saw out there. They are not cheap, but you get what you pay for. They also offer a re-sharpening service that is quite reasonable.

Lee (the saw guy)

Pretty slick set up!
Too bad he doesn't have the programmable coolant nozzle Haas offers.....I don't think the drive socket on the cut off
needs as much coolant as the saw.

Rex

VERY nice!

Took me till the second tool change to figger that all out. :o

I had a job all planned out in similar fashion many yrs ago, but at the last minute - it suposedly went to China. :gossip:

I was going to just mill the parts in two tho. I like this idea better!

However - there is a lot of room for improvement on that cut-off! Obviously there are a lot of parts to make, so ...

Get a carbide angled saw from the likes of Watkins or equivelant and spin it 200 mph, AND feed the A as fast as possible. That part should drop off with hardly a tit at all with a live saw like that - and in 1/3 the time. I was able to drop off 3/16 Ti pins with essentially no tit on the lathe with a live saw, you should be able to too. (ass_u_ming this is SS?)

Again - VERY nice!

------------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

Slick use of one's brain. :)

The live tool runout noise is likely due to the poor connection between the spindle driver and live tool. This would normally not be an issue in a Mori-Seiki live tooled lathe (looks like a Mori tool), but he is using the loose connection to also feed the live tool into the part. I think if the driver engaged the live tool better, the cutoff operation would be improved.

I wonder if the creator of the video is actually a member of PM.

I'd affix some sort of funnel/cup to the top of the angle head, right next to where it is being driven at, to collect the coolant spray. The other end of the funnel will have a hose that will drip coolant down onto the saw. Might as well show that sawblade some love with a bit of coolant.

I would love to do this. And perhaps one day we will. Thanks for sharing.

Slick use of one's brain. :)

The live tool runout noise is likely due to the poor connection between the spindle driver and live tool. This would normally not be an issue in a Mori-Seiki live tooled lathe (looks like a Mori tool), but he is using the loose connection to also feed the live tool into the part. I think if the driver engaged the live tool better, the cutoff operation would be improved.

I wonder if the creator of the video is actually a member of PM.

I was thinking the exact same thing as to why the saw was noisy. Sloppy feed. not sure how tight those rails are he has that drive bolted to? but i bet from the saw-tooth, to the spindle, there is quite the stack-up of "slack". Still one of the most ingenious things I have seen in a long time! (and I spend my share of time on youtube LOL)

I wonder if one would have more luck using an air tool for the cutoff op? Or maybe a separate electric motor. Could tie it to an M code and then you are just using the spindle for the feed move. Would solve the slack issues.

That right there looks like a machine making some money... I'm sure some guys would gripe and go finance a real expensive mill turn or something. Then you have this guy who put on the old thinking cap and is turningoutmparts making money on one of the cheapest real vmc's you can buy.

That right there looks like a machine making some money... I'm sure some guys would gripe and go finance a real expensive mill turn or something. Then you have this guy who put on the old thinking cap and is turningoutmparts making money on one of the cheapest real vmc's you can buy.

X 2 ................... or as my old mentor used to say - whilst tapping his head ''It's up here you want it boy, not in your trousers, or you will be just another prick.'' :D

Back