What's new
What's new

machine operator or machinist

DMF_TomB

Diamond
my company just changed their job classifications so instead of calling everybody a machine operator they are now called a machinist. apparently harder to hire people if they will be called a machine operator.
all machine operators at my company do setups and some programming so there is a difference in that nobody is a machine operator that does no setups and no programming.
i wasnt going to argue being called a machinist again and being given my 2nd pay raise for the year. unusual to get 2 pay raises in a year. i was told it was part of my job title being reclassified

While your posts sometimes drive me nuts. You do seem to be a rather knowledgeable guy. From what I've read, you should be classified as a machinist. I can't state that for everyone you work with, and I highly doubt half of them should be. Just because you can do mediocre setups and modify a little g-code does not mean you are a machinist in my book.

While your posts sometimes drive me nuts. You do seem to be a rather knowledgeable guy. From what I've read, you should be classified as a machinist. I can't state that for everyone you work with, and I highly doubt half of them should be. Just because you can do mediocre setups and modify a little g-code does not mean you are a machinist in my book.

most where i work have made small parts programming creating setups etc many times. big parts weighing tons and having a 1000 features nobody normally does manual programming. sure might manually program one op for one feature manually at the cnc control. but its too complex to do a 1000 features that way.
i used to be a maintenance machinist. making a replacement part from a worn part or from a drawing i have done easily over 10,000 times using lathe, mill, grinder. but making parts fast in a cnc production environment is different too. each has its need to learn things on how best to do
i have gotten 7 pay raises in 5 years basically proving my machinist ability at a new job. even when hired at age 50 you got to prove your self (again) to any new employer. only person who counts on their opinion on my machinist ability is the boss who pays my salary
sure when others come and ask advice on how to make a part that is a compliment but its the boss's opinion who pays salary is the one that really counts

hey tom, there was a time when a machinist could be ranked from 0 to 7

rank7 was the best / well, at least on paper :)

a higher rank would mean a better salary

... just my 002

hey tom, there was a time when a machinist could be ranked from 0 to 7

rank7 was the best / well, at least on paper :)

a higher rank would mean a better salary

... just my 002

A young guy in the shop asked me what I thought of his welding. I told him it was about a 12. He thought for a moment and asked what the scale range was. I told him it wasn't a scale, it was about how I welded when I was 12! His face fell. I told him not to be discouraged though, I learned when I was ten and had been welding for two years at 12.

ranking where i work is influenced by how many types of machines you are able to run and if you need assistance
basically
needs help or assistance to run machine
needs occasional help or assistance
needs no help or assistance to run machine and can train others on how to use machine
i had to ask for transfer to get opportunity to run other machine types other wise you can get stuck running the same machine for 10-40 years
at a former job when i applied for a job transfer the boss hiring told me he picked me cause i was more a jack of all trades and not a expert at only one thing. a little insulting but since i got the job i didnt say anything when he told me this. at the time 500 people all lost their jobs and had 30 days to apply for 100 new jobs being created. it really makes you think about your self worth when you got to find another job in 30 days

Funny how people like titles and are very protective of theirs.
A guy with 6 years in my shop asked me if he would be considered a "machinist".
Fluent in G-code, able to setup and run a 6 axis grinder, capable on a B-port and welder doing holder repairs, works in microns, knows 6-sigma gage R&R and SPC well along with a decent understanding of lean.
Never cut a thread or seen a shaper and zippo knowledge about finishing a die.
I had to say "No, not really to many outside shops but I have no doubt you can learn what you need in another place".
Yes, he has left me for greener grass....... but one can argue that he is still a "grinder hand" and not a machinist.

Not sure when you become a full blown machinist.
I fancy myself as one but maybe not as I see what others here can do and that's okay.
Bob

Funny how people like titles and are very protective of theirs.
A guy with 6 years in my shop asked me if he would be considered a "machinist".
Fluent in G-code, able to setup and run a 6 axis grinder, capable on a B-port and welder doing holder repairs, works in microns, knows 6-sigma gage R&R and SPC well along with a decent understanding of lean.
Never cut a thread or seen a shaper and zippo knowledge about finishing a die.
I had to say "No, not really to many outside shops but I have no doubt you can learn what you need in another place".
Yes, he has left me for greener grass....... but one can argue that he is still a "grinder hand" and not a machinist.

Not sure when you become a full blown machinist.
I fancy myself as one but maybe not as I see what others here can do and that's okay.
Bob

as a maintenance machinist i made all types of parts on lathe, mill and grinder. i once wanted a sharpie marker holder to draw on part before engraving letters. i make a drawing and then i go to lathe and make one including 20 tpi internal and external threads.
sure in some shops you say run a cnc mill and rarely go run a lathe. i still occasionally run a lathe but not like i used too. they just dont expect it
dont matter what many think it only matters what boss thinks who gives the pay raises

Attachments

• EngraverSharpie.jpg
    EngraverSharpie.jpg
    44.5 KB · Views: 186
Machine operator is pretty broad. I think many shops say "CNC Operator". Not that the word machinist means much anymore anyway, you either make the parts right and on time, or you don't.

Machine operator is pretty broad. I think many shops say "CNC Operator". Not that the word machinist means much anymore anyway, you either make the parts right and on time, or you don't.

like i said they are having trouble finding people to hire. one reason is a machinist does not like being hired as a machine operator. so now they dont call everybody a machine operator

A machine operator can operate machinery, like pallet builders, soda bottle injection machines, roll forming machines.

A Machinist walks into a new shop and the first thing he asks is "where do you keep the coffee". Point is the Machinist walks into a Machine shop and is comfortable there, whereas he/she would be uncomfortable serving coffee to Hipsters. Even when the machinery is something he/she has never used or is not well versed in, it isn't an insecurity, it's an opportunity to learn something cool/new. I don't think in 2017 anyone can really say I can run any machine, any time. There is always something new and crazy 97 axes, with a robot loader and 5 spindles running at the same time the loader is unloading and grinding on the other Robot's replacement arm, to get a decent weld spot.

only thing that matters is what the boss who pays me calls me. he wants to call me machine operator or call me a machinist doesnt matter. i got a machinist diploma but piece of paper aint worth much
i had a boss who wanted to give me a pay raise so he gives me a piece of paper and says i am now classified as a moldmaker even though i never made a injection mold. he says dont worry about it. he had to reclassify me so he could give me the pay raise. i said ok. not like i am going to refuse a pay raise

like i said they are having trouble finding people to hire. one reason is a machinist does not like being hired as a machine operator. so now they dont call everybody a machine operator

+ It might look better on your CV if/when you have to look for new employer.

Bit along same lines as old-world secretaries are Office Managers nowadays. ;)

as a maintenance machinist i made all types of parts on lathe, mill and grinder. i once wanted a sharpie marker holder to draw on part before engraving letters. i make a drawing and then i go to lathe and make one including 20 tpi internal and external threads.
sure in some shops you say run a cnc mill and rarely go run a lathe. i still occasionally run a lathe but not like i used too. they just dont expect it
dont matter what many think it only matters what boss thinks who gives the pay raises

I just put a sharpie in an er32 tool holder when I need to check tool paths. But that is neat!

After completing a Machinists Apprenticeship of 8,340 hours, and receiving a Journeyman Machinist Degree, I damn well consider myself a Machinist. The problem with trying to become a Machinist with experience only, you never quite know when or if you have really made it, especially if your employer won't recognize it. Such is your problem. Either you live with it, or move on. The longer you wait, your possibility of moving on to something better diminishes.

I just put a sharpie in an er32 tool holder when I need to check tool paths. But that is neat!

sharpie marker holder i got it floats. brass bushing slips on marker and gives it some weight but not alot.
it used for checking engraving spelling errors and spacing of letters. nothing worse than engraving metal part with a spelling error

Back