What's new
What's new

Machining Copper tungsten

HSM_CHIEF

Aluminum
Look for some starting points on cutting copper tungsten. I’ve never machined the stuff I’m making some electrodes to burn a carbide die. Just was wondering what kind of tooling/coating to use and if I should run coolant? And a good starting sfm?

There are quite a few grades of this material with low to high tungsten content. Machining more or less like bronze, maybe little more difficult with the high W content where thin sections and sharp edges could chip or crack.

It machines very easy, more like cast iron if you ask me, but hold onto your shorts when it comes to tool wear, makes hardened 17-4 and 15-5 seem like presoftened butter.

You can get great finishes and hold dimensions well, but holding the dims becomes difficult just due to wear.

Steve

We recently machined some and the machinist said it turned very easily. Tapping it was a whole 'nuther story. We didn't have a lot of wall and it cracked. The tap also chipped. We ended up using aluminum inserts with Loctite, as the stresses were very low on the threads.

We recently machined some and the machinist said it turned very easily. Tapping it was a whole 'nuther story. We didn't have a lot of wall and it cracked. The tap also chipped. We ended up using aluminum inserts with Loctite, as the stresses were very low on the threads.

Thread milling is the way to go, just track wear on the edges and replace cutters before they get too dull.

It machines kinda like a harder cast aluminum. If the trode is not too big I use Harvey Amorphous Diamond coated endmills. They do last a lot longer than anything else. That said, as Milland and others have noted tool wear is an issue. I have picked out corners with an uncoated .005D x .046L flat endmill with good results but you really need to watch the wear.
I machine it dry with an air blast but the Makino apps guy recommends MQL for longer tool life and better finishes. I don't have flood coolant on the trode mill so air blast it is.

Back