What's new
What's new

Machining nylon block using Talon Grip vise jaws

Pathfinder20

Plastic
Wanting to try machining 7.25 x 7.25 x 2.12 nylon blocks holding onto .06 to .07 with the Talon Grip vise jaws. This would
allow access to 5 sides, then flip over and face remaining side in deep soft jaws. Block finishes at 7 x 7 x 2.
I asked MiteeBite and they think it will work. Just wanting to find out if anyone else has tried this.

Thanks,

Pathfinder20

Never used talon grips, but I've done plenty using dovetailed jaws with a matching D/T cut m/c'd in the block, .....the minimum on that size I would go is <> 3/32 deep, PLUS use a low a helix cutter as I can find to reduce the lift on the block AND not ''go mad'' with the cuts either.

There's a PM that had a block that size come out of a vise - and through the window IIRC? - he still carries the scars!

Wanting to try machining 7.25 x 7.25 x 2.12 nylon blocks holding onto .06 to .07 with the Talon Grip vise jaws. This would
allow access to 5 sides, then flip over and face remaining side in deep soft jaws. Block finishes at 7 x 7 x 2.
I asked MiteeBite and they think it will work. Just wanting to find out if anyone else has tried this.

Thanks,

Pathfinder20

If you're made of money, you might be interested in the Versa grip jaws (another MiteeBite product) :D They're made to grab round objects, but will also grab parallel sided pieces quite aggressively. They take a little more height (can't recall, maybe .100") and each one will bite in two places. I'd feel that they would hold plastic a little better because the knife edge is a little higher into the stock.

Easy money for Talon Grips.

Only thing is that some plastic (like some extruded flat bar metals) can have a big rounds on the edges. I have my Talon Jaws set up to hold .070" and they work 95% of the time, but I ran into a run of 6061 with such severe radiuses on the edges that they had trouble gripping.

We clamp plastics with talon grips every day. Clamp hard to set the teeth,, loosen then clamp lightly, otherwise you're screwed from the start if you have any tight tolerances.

Get as many teeth in the material as possible.

Even 2" thick, you're going to have severe chatter or at least bowing. See if you can put some kind of support under the blank, and load blank bow-down so it puts pressure on the support when clamped.

Better yet, pallet type fixture with lots of pit bull clamps for full support.

All good replies. I live and die by my Talon-Grips as well.

Please do search out the incident Sami referenced though.
If I recall, his chunk of plastic was significantly larger than yours. And, his holding technique was uber-sketchy.
I think he had his jaws mounted outside the vise and not bolted fast? (I havent seen the pics in a few years)
But, the fact remains, it almost took his leg off at the thigh.

I've used them with Delrin. Just go easy on the clamping pressure. You can easily breakout the edges just with the pressure of the vise.

Back