What's new
What's new

Machining a very thin sleeve

I'd guess about 0.01-.015" per side, length depending.
Any thinner than that, and life gets tricky. :-P

Once it disappears it can't be machined any thinner.
It's way to general of a question. How are you holding it? Are you chucking on the sleeve or a carrier? If on the sleeve them the wall needs be thick enough to support the pressure of the chuck. If you have a carrier then comes down to technique. Watch videos on Swiss turning and duplicate their techniques. Use your stock to support your finish cut. Could put the sleeve on a mandrel to turn the od.
Jordy

Anneal, draw, repeat many times, then trim? That's pretty damned thin. Would be a bitch in my view, no matter how you slice it.

Maybe JRIowa, Smalltime, or some of the other die makers could weigh in. That's out of my league whether machining it or getting a die fussed in to make that.

You might have a chance with a perfectly fitted mandrel and a perfectly razor sharp tool with light cuts. But I doubt it.
Jordy

Is this a print to part-part, or is this just a fix-it job? The options open up a lot if you just need to fix it, but if it's on a print???? I don't think it can be done with conventional machining, maybe ask one of the expert 3-D printer guys. I would think even if you tried burning it the wire would just burn through the wall, especially when it's getting towards the end of the path, the smallest wire I know of is still .004" thick. On top of all that, it would have to be an absolutely finished part when it came out of the machine, no handwork on that little sucker, ever handled .001" shim stock? Let alone lapping it?

Robert my ±2

How thin can I safely machine the wall thickness on a steel or brass sleeve before it is not practical or can't be machined any thinner?

But to answer this question, you're right there Klamath. But be sure to post back and let us know how, what happened.

R

Roughly an inch long by .204 OD by .202ID

Wait... What?? :confused: I can see what the others were saying about a mandrel but I still cannot see it being successful. I sure as hell wouldn't want it take on. Maybe drawn from a die but there I am no expert,I am not even sure if it is possible then.

Is this a print to part-part, or is this just a fix-it job?

Post #7. Pretty sure this is just a hypothetical question. Now I've fallen into the trap of wasting time on it.
Its a stupid question but I am just curious.

When I want to make a one thou per side thick sleeve. I just take a mandrel, run it about 16,000 rpm, and rub it with a scrap of 4140 from the off cut bin. Instant 2 thou over size bush. My only problem is, I've never been able to get one off the mandrel. Lube doesn't help, that just makes undersize sleeves. ;)

Regards Phil.

Back