What's new
What's new

Machining Waspalloy

Ox

Diamond
Never touched the stuff before, so took an opportunity to play with it.
However - the print has changed since I quoted it - and for one thing - it needs heat treated.

Voice says that it is "5706" right now = RC-35
But the print has been updated to "5707" which he says will come in per the cert to RC-42

I thought that this stuff was gummy?
Apparently not...

From my experience, I wouldn't think that those 7 points wouldn't make much difference to me - and would prefer to H/T prior to machining. But with no experience in this material - I am checking with y'all.

???

I am turning round bar down (short stubby) and milling the flanged end flat. Possibly in the lathe.

I think the bar is 2-1/2" round.
Dare I expect to be able to cut it off in the lathe, or should it be slugged up in the saw first?

I found threads on the stuff as far as S/F / DOC and whatnot, but no clue on the "part-off" opperation at all. That is a pretty deep cut. I could stagger it and work my way down tho...
Only have 16 parts to make.

Most of all - currently - I need to decide if I want to have it H/T'd first or not.

Oh yeah - I need to put a 1/4-28 in 1/2" deep.
Can I form tap that? Or will I need to mill it in?

-----------------------

Thanks Y'all!
Ox

Last edited:
Ox, I wish you good luck in your journey!

I have not touched this stuff in 10 years or so, even then it was 98% WireEDM, 2% milling.
The 98% was uneventful, but that 2% part however is forever etched in my memory!

First, if I read the AMS specs correctly, 5706 is cancelled as of 2010, so only 5707 is active.
Not sure how that's handled by the suppliers, 5707 might be the only thing available.

Second, if I had the choice, I'd slug them off in the saw first ( and then throw them in the scrapbin right away ) instead of parting off.

Third, with 58% nickel and 13.5% cobalt content, me thinks that form tapping is not on the menu.

Ox, been a loong time since I messed with that nasty stuff. I remember needing SHARP tools. I would not plan on form tapping at all. As noted above, cut it off in the saw.
Looking forward to the debriefing after.... :)

We mainly deal with high temp alloys. Waspaloy is one of our soft favorites. All coated tools will take care of the gumminess. Otherwise it will cut pretty sweet. Roll tap is out of the question. Have to tap/cut with sharp tool. Heat treat first. I think there is a Kennametal grade KT315 I believe where you can run at 300 SFPM. Double check this. Fear is the mind killer. Have fun!!

So - you're saying that I can tap it with a std cut tap?
Like OSG SF Mod bottom?

Use special dope? (Moly? I don't have any) Or maybe just cutting oil?

-------------------------

Thank you
Ox

I have kept out of this thus far as I am no expert but I have seen this kind of stuff being machined in big OEM companies with both CNC and manual machines and they were not having much trouble ,what struck me was the really slow surface speed and the really heavy weight of the machines they used.

I have done a bit of similar material on my lighter weight machines and the slow speed and high cutting forces caused the machine to give rather than the tool cut ,hence the nice sharp tool is quickly blunt and it's game over.

But with no experience in this material - I am checking with y'all.
Waspaloy (correct spelling) is some hard nasty shit. First thing you will notice is it will destroy your bandsaw blades if they are not carbide tipped. Second, forget about tapping it. This stuff machines like Heat treated Inco718, only harder.

Whatever you quoted on this job, I can guarantee you, it was about 5x too low.

Waspaloy (correct spelling) is some hard nasty shit. First thing you will notice is it will destroy your bandsaw blades if they are not carbide tipped. Second, forget about tapping it. This stuff machines like Heat treated Inco718, only harder.

Whatever you quoted on this job, I can guarantee you, it was about 5x too low.

Oh come on!

"5 x too low" on a machinist site?

I cringe every time I hear bad math in commercials, but here?
I told my wife that it is prolly akin to her seeing my speling - mistakes and/or intentions ....
but I don't hang out on language sites....

Come on Phil, I expect better from you.... You can fix that ....

I only quote $75 each, and that seemed like a lot for such a simple part.
I guess we'll see.
I guess it really doesn't matter - as long as I can get them done in a cpl days and don't consume more than $1200 in trashed material or perishables, then I have one more thing under my belt. I'm not super busy otherwise, so now is a good time to try new things.

Now - if I can just recall the experience at a later date, but hopefully not quite as vividly as Seymour.

-----------------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

Come on Phil, I expect better from you.... You can fix that ....

I guess we'll see.
$75 each? Yep, you quoted too low. Please let us know how it goes. :D

On the plus side, Waspaloy machines beautifully with Greenleaf WG300 ceramics.

I guess we'll see.

Ever wonder how all these winner jobs show up right about when your shop seems to be getting slower.

Good luck with that part.....will never forget my L605 job years ago.:bawling::fight:

I don't know Waspaloy but if it is anything like Anviloy then what everyone has been saying is fairly accurate Ox. I run it about 150sfm sometimes changing rough tools mid roughing cycle. If you can cheat up on tap drill size.

Brent

Back