What's new
What's new

Machinist Jack Stands

marcv68

Plastic
Hi guys relatively new here and I just started instructing students in cnc at new england tech. Was wondering if anyone can point me in the direction of a good set of prints and a lathe program for some machinist jacks. Thought it would be a pretty good intermediate project as the students progress. Mind you we instruct from scratch as some of these students have little to no cnc experience. Cant wait to pay it forward. Wish me luck

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

Now how the fuck are you supposed to be teaching anybody anything if you can't figure such a simple task out yourself??? Seriously. What are you going to teach a budding machinist if you can't write a goddamn program yourself? A fucking 2 axis lathe program!

I can program it. Like I said starting from scratch with these people so I wanted to show and explain drawings. The drawings is what I dont have

I will show them programming down the line. Baby steps

Now how the fuck are you supposed to be teaching anybody anything if you can't figure such a simple task out yourself??? Seriously. What are you going to teach a budding machinist if you can't write a goddamn program yourself? A fucking 2 axis lathe program!

Tell your old lady to open her legs up, you stupid cunt.

^Jebus, what is this, an automotive forum? I visit this site to escape the rubes.

Surely the OP has access to AutoCAD. Even if you don't, d/l Draftsight and you could draw an interesting machinist jack in 20 minutes, all parts accounted for (there's only like, 3).

I went to new england tech. They have cad and cam at the school.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Tell your old lady to open her legs up, you stupid cunt.
You want me to get laid more than I already do? Damn, not sure I have time for that. I'll give it a shot though.

So you are ok with teachers that lack the ability to complete an incredibly simple project on their own?

You should have each student design their own. It's a relatively simple set of components and should be well within the scope of a tech student's capabilities. Give them a few parameters (i.e. min. and max height, footprint, materials, etc.) and let them come up with it from scratch. Lots of learning opportunities along the way.

A machinist jack is basically a nut and a bolt. The best jacks I have seen have a split clamp around the neck of the nut so the thing can be locked at a desired height instead of applying undue pressure against the work trying to make it stay put when the tool /work cutting vibrations set in.

Gotta admit. The best machinist jack I've had was a 1x3" SAE bolt in a tall nut. Super cheap, sturdy, reliable and best of all easily replaceable! Want to be able to clamp it in place? Weld the nut to a piece of plate or flat bar. Want to support a shaft? Cut a vee in the bolt head. The possibilities are only limited by what you can imagine.

When I bought my HBM it came with a bunch of jacks made from 5/8" set screws and 5/8" flange nuts. Hard to beat.

You will not find two designed the same people make them to suit themselfs but they are a good starting project for learning.Sizes and shapes vary for the type of work some with the bolt head flat some domed some with a point on very handy for casings that have bits overanging in space to stop vibration.A few tips a few holes around the head so you can stick a thin object in to put a bit of tension on I use a thin shank of the alen key but you can use anything.A locking nut on below the head again with a few small holes around the O/D for nipping up.You can knurle the O/D of both the bolt head and locking nut for grip sizes will vary to suit your self some big some small let the lads design their own once you give them a basic sketch.Materials vary brass,steel,cast iron get the sawyer to keep his off cuts for such projects waste not want not.I have dozens of all different height and diameters most from ins high to 3ins high a lot I would say are at least a hundred years old that I picked up over the years and the shapes are all different but basically for show.Look around where you are and there are shapes for bottle jacks from a salt cellar with its tapered body and domed top to the medicine bottle with its angled tapered body and its pointed head let them decide what shape they want to make and what material they want to use obviously brass/bronze and cast iron will vamp vibration. Steel will be more hard wearing

A machinist jack is basically a nut and a bolt. The best jacks I have seen have a split clamp around the neck of the nut so the thing can be locked at a desired height instead of applying undue pressure against the work trying to make it stay put when the tool /work cutting vibrations set in.

That's an awesome idea, think I'm gonna try it on some Jack's I made at work!

Want to give the kids a full encompassing lesson...

Explain how a Machininst jack stand works...maybe even show them one. Then let them brain storm an idea into a design, draw it up then let them make it.

Being a machinist is about thinking a job through...can't handfeed every step or we wind up with more guys sitting at a machine waiting for someone to tell them what to do OR guys that chuck up a part, start machining the easy items only to find out they are painted into a corner and cannot finish as they gave no thought on how to hold the 2nd op.

Hi guys relatively new here and I just started instructing students in cnc at new england tech. Was wondering if anyone can point me in the direction of a good set of prints and a lathe program for some machinist jacks. Thought it would be a pretty good intermediate project as the students progress. Mind you we instruct from scratch as some of these students have little to no cnc experience. Cant wait to pay it forward. Wish me luck

a rod coupling (long nut) and a hew head screw make a small jack fast
majority of times i use a jack to lift a heavy part so i can stick a .001 shim in and then i lower jack. aint many times i leave a jack in during machining
they got pictures of machinist jacks in catalog often bigger ones are a casting. you might want to make something else as they are fairly cheap in price. mcmaster they are called bar screw jacks or wrench adjustable jacks

These were given to me by someone that made them over 35 years ago as an apprentice. The heads swivel and were crimped on by making slots in them with a hacksaw. I suggest that you look into having some sort of swivel on the head...The spacers fit into each other so that you have a big range.

I agree with showing them pics and then let them try to design it themselves. Even if you put them in groups of 2 or 3 and let them brainstorm themselves. Then from there help them with the finishing touches and start making them.

Attachments

• DSC_0020.jpg
    DSC_0020.jpg
    91.8 KB · Views: 374
  • DSC_0021.jpg
    DSC_0021.jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 644

Back