What's new
What's new

Buying my first milling machine

G8KeaPoR

Aluminum
Hello all first time posting here. So I have been looking and I pretty much have it narrowed down to three machines that meet my budget.
Brother s500x1
ROBODRILL D14mia
Hurco VM10

Basically the hurco is at the bottom solely because of two things. The machine height means I have to find somewhere else to put it as my door openings are only 84 inch tall and the process to get them modified well I think I would win the lottery first. Also while I like that it is super easy to use I don't like that I pretty much would have to modify my programs if I ever switched to something else.

That really leaves me between the brother and the robodrill. So I have seen comments go either way here on them but I have to say looking at them both in appearance and specs the machines look to be the same thing minus the blue/yellow color used. In terms of specs there isn't much difference I can see either and from reviews I can find just as many for or against both. So are they really the same machine but no one wants to SAY they are? Lastly which is easier to use and why? My day job has been being a Sr. Systems Engineer and my side job has been engine machining. (nice combo I know) Neither really use G-coding but it is just another language and given my experience I think I can handle it.

I know there has been multiple discussions on these machines in some capacity but the ones I found when searching dated back a while and didn't really answer my questions. So that is why I started this new one.

Basically the Hurco is at the bottom solely because of two things. The machine height means I have to find somewhere else to put it as my door openings are only 84 inch tall and the process to get them modified well I think I would win the lottery first. Also while I like that it is super easy to use I don't like that I pretty much would have to modify my programs if I ever switched to something else.

Had a VM-10 in my basement for years and was able to get it in a standard 7' door by removing the Z axis and tool change motors which are pretty simple to do. Also, Hurco will run ISO G code same as a Fanuc.

The Hurco was our first CNC mill and its a really user friendly control either in conversational or G code for a first machine. Good luck in your search!

I own a Brother and I like it very much. I will probably be buying another Brother as my next milling machine (in 2-5 years). I only have good things to say about the Brother. Also, another huge win is that (at least for my territory), Yamazen sells Brother. They have GREAT support/service. I bought my Takisawa lathe from them vs the competition mostly because of the great support they have. I don't regret either of my purchases with them. The Brother has made me quite a bit of money. The Takisawa hasn't yet, but it's because I don't keep it fed with work. One thing about these two machines (Takisawa and Brother) is that they machine parts very quickly, so it's difficult to keep them going all the time. It's a good problem to have though.

I can't say anything good or bad about the Fanuc Robodrill and the Hurco. Don't have any experience, sorry.

Matt

Yamazen is who I am dealing with for brother and so far they have been great. I plan on just adding a rotary table until I have enough work to support a lathe in the meantime but one day (closes eyes and dreams!) I will have one.

Thanks for your input. It is great to know they have awesome support as that is I think important.

My first machine was a used Haas Vf-1 Gearbox.. Not enough rpm for most aluminum. Used SL-10(lets just say, should have run a carfax.) Added a used Vf2 10K rpm. Used those making great parts for a number of years.

Just added a new S700X1 16K Love it! Little different than the VFs with their 40 taper. But wow if it doesn't run most of the same parts in half the time I know I let it down with my HSMworks..
Feel free to message me if you have any questions.
https://instagram.com/genuinesaab/

Get the Brother. Brother makes it very easy to hack on, they give you full access to the PLC, come with extra IO standard etc. Fanuc... less so, to put it mildly.

As a systems engineer, you'll eventually want to put some on-table automation onto it. Brother makes that extremely easy.

I have 3 Brothers, couldn't be happier with them.

I asked Hurco 3 times if the current VM10I could be made to fit through a 7ft door, I sent them photos of captdaves install with discriptions of his process. They said won't work. Who knows.

Robodrill is not the same as a Brother. Build quality is much better on the Brother, design is better on the Brother. Robodrill has a Fanuc control..... no thanks. I don't need endless stupid error messages, small memory, and general user unfriendliness. Support from Yamazen is also best in class.

Buy the S700 size. You'll want the Blum tool setter, CTS prep, MPG, Mode B, and likely a Blum probe, wash down gun and LED lights.

I asked Hurco 3 times if the current VM10I could be made to fit through a 7ft door, I sent them photos of captdaves install with discriptions of his process. They said won't work. Who knows.

Robodrill is not the same as a Brother. Build quality is much better on the Brother, design is better on the Brother. Robodrill has a Fanuc control..... no thanks. I don't need endless stupid error messages, small memory, and general user unfriendliness. Support from Yamazen is also best in class.

Buy the S700 size. You'll want the Blum tool setter, CTS prep, MPG, Mode B, and likely a Blum probe, wash down gun and LED lights.

The guy from Yamazan also suggested the s700x1 but I don't see being able to fit that in my budget unless I sacrificed a few options. Then again options can be added later on too as I'm sure they will be.

You should expand your budget. Things like the tool setter, Mode B, 16k spindle if you are working in AL or with small tools save you money if your intent is to make a bunch of parts and sell them.

It's more blocks of look ahead on the Speedio C00 control. I have videos and photos of the difference. Mode B is standard, but you can pay for increasing the amount of look-ahead, and its worth it.

2 years ago I narrowed it down to a Brother and Robodrill. I went with the Brother because Yamazen impressed me more, it was cheaper, and the Robo guy couldn't tell me why it was worth the extra money. I have never heard anything bad about the Robodrills but I can tell you that I love my Brother S2Dn. We've been running it two shifts per day for two years now without a single service call. And I don't think I'm taking it easy on the machine, either. I just bought a 15 year old one that still rocks. I will buy more in the future.

What I would REALLY like to be able to pay for is the ability to use helical interpolation in mode B...

My #1 complaint with the Brothers.

What I would REALLY like to be able to pay for is the ability to use helical interpolation in mode B...

My #1 complaint with the Brothers.

Is this for lead ins / lead outs, or is this for thread milling? Can you just have your post go to not-mode-B (I guess Mode A?) for those moves? I have a similar problem for helical interpolation during coordinate rotations (I think, or maybe it's arc moves not in the XY plane), but I ended up linearizing all the moves that are not in the XY plane.

Matt

You should expand your budget. Things like the tool setter, Mode B, 16k spindle if you are working in AL or with small tools save you money if your intent is to make a bunch of parts and sell them.

Easier said than done but I am trying though. I may just put it off for a small bit. While it isn't making me money waiting the longer I do the more I can save. I think to start I am just going to go with the 500 the machine is large enough to do what I need now and by the time I have a need for something larger I should be able to afford to get something larger. After all the goal is to grow. I will get back to you all when I get the machine. Thanks for all the input.

Well I bought an s500x1. Probably wasn't the best week for me to buy nerve wise since my wedding is this Saturday, but the price was right so I pulled the trigger. Next week I will get back to the books so to speak practicing G-code and finding an affordable good cad/cam to start with. I use affordable loosely of course on that one haha.

Well I bought an s500x1. Probably wasn't the best week for me to buy nerve wise since my wedding is this Saturday, but the price was right so I pulled the trigger. Next week I will get back to the books so to speak practicing G-code and finding an affordable good cad/cam to start with. I use affordable loosely of course on that one haha.

Congrats (on multiple fronts). I purchased my first Brother after being married for about 10 months. Wife was super nervous. A month later, she said I should have done it way sooner. You will be happy with Yamazen's awesome service and I wish you the best of luck with your marriage (no guarantee's there though, to each their own).

Matt

Back