What's new
What's new

Milling 301 With 2mm Rad Inserts

Whysosharp

Cast Iron
Hey all,
I have quite the issue. I'm trying to square up some .125 thick plates by stacking 4 next to each other and taking a cut on the top. I'm using a Mitsubishi 1" 4FL indexable with the proper insert grade and a 2mm nose radius. I initially used air blast but found that chips were sticking to the top of the part so I switched to using TSC. My DOC is .04 on the first pass and .02 on the second. After about 6 runs I find that the corners of the inserts are destroyed any suggestions on how to make the cut? My spindle is at 2140 and i'm feeding at 35 IPM. I'm using a Hardinge GX 480APC. Thanks for your help in advance.

How big are these plates? You may need to be clamping them together as well as clamping them in the vice. I'd also be doing more plates at once if you have them and attacking it with a facemill. For comparisons sake I'd be running a Sandvik 1" R390 shouldermill with 1/32 rad 2040 inserts at 845 sfpm and .005 per tooth.

You may need to be clamping them together as well as clamping them in the vice.

My first thought as well.
A C-clamp on each end near the top helps keep the parts from "flapping" and breaking down your cutter.
Your speeds and feeds seem fine to me.

Back