What's new
What's new

Making quick-change Subplates for Matsuura RA2F

CPM2014

Cast Iron
So the last stage of rebuilding my Matsuura is making a couple sub-plates for the Pallets. Really I want it to be more than just sub-plates, I want it to be a change in the way I approach and program work, especially repeat, and production jobs. The idea is to have sub-plates with an assorted layout of locators for precise location of custom pallets and fixtures as well as ball lock receivers to accept a pair of Orange double vises, so I can locate and program work in Solidworks/HSM Works with minimal locating at the machine. In theory I want to be able to run the machine in absolute and only make "Universal" work offset adjustments. I come from a joshop background so this concept is a new one for me.

I am going to provide a step by step chronicle of my progress and welcome any experienced advise, particularly programming/setup strategies.

I should add that previous to getting to this stage I have: rebuilt Y & Z ballscrews/nuts, rebuilt spindle drive and motor, fully leveled and tramed, and adjusted backlash (both mechanically and electronically).

This is what I am machining towards
SUB PLATE WITH VISES.jpg

Showing Sub-plate with receivers
SUBPLATE WITH RECIEVERS.jpg

I contacted Orange Vise Company about making some extended vises to maximize the capacity of my pallet length. Eric at Orange suggested making extended vise leadscrews and extenders that bolt onto the ends of the vise body. This gives me nearly 6" of clamping capacity in each station. Overall vise length is 23.500"
View attachment 126495

My pallets had .0005/.001" of wear across them so I skimmed the faces to make them perfectly flat as well as exactly the same height to each other.
Machined face of pallets2.jpg

This is the backside of the Sub-Plate showing the locating features. Center 2" hole in Pallet located the sub-plate in Y direction, and two "keys" at the 12 o'clock and 6 o'clock positions locate it in X.
backside of subplate.jpg

Installed the Sub-plate without bolts, just locating on center pin and keys. I set a .0001" indicator on the backside of the plate so I can see if tightening the mounting bolts would have changed the location of sub-plate by any substantial amount.
DSC_0090.jpg

It moved about .0001" with the indicator at the extreme end of the pivot point. I can live with that! :)
DSC_0093.jpg

That's were I am as of now. I'm waiting for a 4" projection facemill holder because mine wont reach the table:wall:

So the last stage of rebuilding my Matsuura is making a couple sub-plates for the Pallets. Really I want it to be more than just sub-plates, I want it to be a change in the way I approach and program work, especially repeat, and production jobs. The idea is to have sub-plates with an assorted layout of locators for precise location of custom pallets and fixtures as well as ball lock receivers to accept a pair of Orange double vises, so I can locate and program work in Solidworks/HSM Works with minimal locating at the machine. In theory I want to be able to run the machine in absolute and only make "Universal" work offset adjustments. I come from a joshop background so this concept is a new one for me.

I am going to provide a step by step chronicle of my progress and welcome any experienced advise, particularly programming/setup strategies.

I should add that previous to getting to this stage I have: rebuilt Y & Z ballscrews/nuts, rebuilt spindle drive and motor, fully leveled and tramed, and adjusted backlash (both mechanically and electronically).

This is what I am machining towards
View attachment 126493

Showing Sub-plate with receivers
View attachment 126494
i have use grid plates from
STEVENS ENGINEERING INC. Modular Fixturing CNC Tombstones CNC Subplates Angle Plates Vises Clamps for Machine Shops
basically has 5/8-11 tapped holes and reamed location holes in a grid pattern and each is numbered
you can locate A5 or E10 just like you can locate a cell in Excel software.
we still probe part and fine adjust G55 work offset as part can vary and it might be more important
to center opposite sides (stock divide) or zero to a hole already in part
by using a grid plate you can bolt on a fixture to within .001 very fast and remove it when done
we do a calibration or grid shift check weekly as a zero return or homing machine does
not guarantee machine zero does not drift .001 or .002" over time

SubPlates are now finished being machined. Im very happy with how they cam out! All locations are within .0002" of each other from plate to plate.
Machined subplate.jpg

I am using SpeedLocs for my fixturing locators.
SpeedLocs.jpg

All finished. Ready for annodize
ready for anodize.jpg

The plates are out to get hard anodized. Waiting for shipping confirmation from Orange vise company. Looks like I should have all components back to the shop by the beginning of next week! Cant wait!!

Any updates on your setup? How is it working out for you. I did something similar about 10 years ago but it was just a 2.000" grid plate with 1/2 dia bushings.

Back