What's new
What's new

VMC Suggestions

Henry L.

Plastic
I'm shopping for my first VMC to run my new Onecnc XR3 mill pro (expert update in the future) software.
My work is small 3D injection molds.
I'm coming from manual machines and am looking for suggestions on what would be a good machine for my needs.
Something dating mid '80's - mid '90's.
Controllers are my main concern. Are there limitations to what I can use? Is an '87 meldas or Fadal (pre HS) controller too old for the XR3 software?
Thanks for the help.

to do mold work you will need a high speed controller. that being said i would stay away from the fadal in this case unless you get the newer control. what do you make your molds out of? how ridgid of a machine do you need. i have a fadal and it runs my one cnc programs just fine. but i'm not doing high speed contouring or ultra precise finish passes.

In addition to the 3D performance issue SD mentioned, memory size (to hold your program) will also be an issue with mold work on older controllers. I'd sure try to stay on the mid 90's (or later) end of the age range you mentioned, and if I were you I'd generate a typical program and see how it loads and runs on a prospective machine, at least cutting air. This would also let you see how much of a hassle it will be to get a post processor working for the machine.

I'd also recommend staying with machines that still have service available for the controller for that age of machine, which includes Fanuc, Haas and after that I'm not sure, maybe some others can fill in on that issue.

Good luck-

Paul T.

Back