What's new
What's new

manual reference point return on a fanuc 0-m

Do you mean to reset home positions back to factory defaults ? If so, hold the "P" button and "cancel" button at the same time during bootup and this clears any weird home positions that may have come about due to a limit switch getting tripped at odd position or whatever.

And make sure you hold the CANCEL button and not "reset" or "delete" as that could erase memory ! :willy_nilly:

thats not somthing they want in the manual since a discruntled employee can hold CAN+DEL+RES at the same time and wipe the whole control out. Happened to me on a Takisawa. took about 2 days putting in the pars. and let me tell you tring to find the one you messed up on is a PITA.

Resetting or checking the machine zero or home postions will require you to check your O.E.M. manual showing the travels to our table from the centerline and gage line of the spindle(assuming it is a machining center). I just did this the other day. The parameters for the "grid shift" on Fanuc 0 are 508 = X, 509 = Y, and 510 = Z.

RL

Do you mean to reset home positions back to factory defaults ? If so, hold the "P" button and "cancel" button at the same time during bootup and this clears any weird home positions that may have come about due to a limit switch getting tripped at odd position or whatever. "

didn't work . i assume -p- would be = to the 'pos' button? nothing happened to the
position #'s .

anyway , the x axis zero is stuck in the middle of the table, i cannot get it to jog any further to the right-alarm overtravel.

but it will jog all the way to the limit on the left.
. also, how do i know where to reset the z-axis for the toolchange home?

didn't work . i assume -p- would be = to the 'pos' button? nothing happened to the position #'s .

Is not the position button. It’s the one on the key pad along with all the other letters. Like S, T, M, X, Y & Z where you do the bulk of your programming or MDI input.

It most often has other letters on it like “Q” using the shift key. So it will have P/Q on it. Press and hold together with the Can button. Keep them held while some one turns the power on. You have to press then before the power comes on. Keep them held until the control and drives boot up.

After that it will ignore the software over travels. Then hopefully it will travel to the switch, hit that and slow down, then find the first reference pulse after it comes off the switch. That will zero the machine position display. If you haven’t lost any parameters you should be good.

The other old fashioned way is to look at your parameters 700 – 706, write them down then change them to 999999, use a negative if they all ready have a negative written. That will allow the axis to run 9.9…. metres before you get an alarm. Then change them back.

Phil.

P.S Not sure that thing Zdravko posted should be common knowledge. I’ve also had to restore machines after some dead head that’s been sacked has wiped a control on his way out the door.

The other old fashioned way is to look at your parameters 700 – 706, write them down then change them to 999999, use a negative if they all ready have a negative written. That will allow the axis to run 9.9…. metres before you get an alarm. Then change them back."

thanks phil , that let me get the table moved , but the can + the n,o,p button doesn't zero
anything out . i tried to reset home pos with the 925 parameter set to 00000001 , and that got me the Y
axis reset , but after time and time again ,the Z and X will only return to their wrong home
positions- x is somewhere in the middle of the table , while Z is 2.5 inches down from the
top travel limit.

Tnmg.

I got a feeling we have been on a goose chase here. When you mentioned Parameter 925. This isn’t your run of the mill O-M

I went back and searched your threads to see which machine we are talking about here.

http://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb/showthread.php?p=889408#post889408

Is this the same machine? Kondia / Sharp with dead batteries on the drives? Wouldn’t have hurt to mention that again. Wille was onto that back about post 3, 5 days ago.

If that’s the case you have an absolute encoder machine, and no amount of turning off over travel alarms will help you get to the reference cams if it doesn’t have them.

Could you please scroll through your parameters / manuals and confirm for me that you have any of the following, before we go any further.

Parameter 21 Bit 0 APCX, Bit 1 APCY, Bit 2 APCZ, Bit 3 APC4.

Parameter 22 Bit 0 ABS-X, Bit 1 ABS-Y, Bit 2 ABS-Z, Bit 3 ABS-4

Or
Parameter 1850 Gridshift.

Parameter 1815 bit 4 With the description APZ

Parameter 1815 bit 5 With the description APC

Regards Phil.

Last edited:
Thank goodness for that. That was a little like pulling teeth. Yours must be an OM -A, B or C. Still not sure how you have a Parameter 925. None of my manuals list it.

That parameter 22 bits 0 – 3. (4 –Z-Y-X) . In the best Japanese English translation are described as “Reference Position in Absolute encoder are settled” Meaning when you set those to 1, the current axis position becomes machine zero.

The same bits in parameter 21, indicate if you have absolute encoders.

So in summery you turn off / set to 0 the axis bits in parameter 22, move your axis by foul means or fair until its at the home position, then set the bits back to 1. Normally throwing in a few power off / ons for good measure.

Glad you are out of trouble.

Regards Phil.

Back