What's new
What's new

High Volume Turning

Valiant

Aluminum
I'm quoting a 30,000pc 1op turning job right now, and am a little scared of such a big number...

The part itself is pretty simple, it's a 304 grommet about 3/4 diameter, a little over 1/4" long, with about 1/32 thick walls.

I'm thinking that I'll face, turn OD, and cut the radius groove all with a .125fnr, and bore and groove the inside out with a groove tool. (which I'll need to find somewhere, Thinbit doesn't seem to have a tool that will take quite as deep of a groove as I need)

I wrote a program for it to get a good idea on time, because 10seconds over 30,000parts is a pretty big deal, but until I start cutting and get the speeds/feeds dialed in, it could change a bit.

The main thing I'm concerned about is how to account for tool life or other expenses for such a high volume part. The majority of longer run jobs I do (in the hundreds) are aluminum, brass and plastic, and I don't even figure insert cost into the equation, but if I'm going through 2 corners (ID and OD) and a drill every 50 or even 100 parts, that adds up REAL fast.

It's been so long since I cut any 304 (and I never did cut much...) that I can't seem to recall exactly how it cut. Will a .125fnr groover hold up well? Any particular brand or grade that might give the best results?

Also waiting to hear back on a material price. Any supplier recommendations for a Midwesterner?

Back