What's new
What's new

Marposs T18 tool setter disassembly

Joec@westminster

Aluminum
I have an issue with my tool setter and wish to disassemble,clean and reassemble and cannot find any info on this. I do not know if it is even possible or not.

The issue I am having is I am getting intermittent "unexpected probe touch" errors or if the machine makes contact it does register it but then the z retract backs of very slowly rather than the rapid it normally does on the probe return after contact. If I gently touch the probe from the bottom, lifting it then the proper retract rapid speed is achieved.

As I understand the functioning of the probe it does not register the tool offset until the probe returns to its neutral position and then the machine rapids away. The machines behavior is telling me that the probe is not resetting to its neutral position. I am thinking it my be a worn or weak spring.

Any help is appreciated.

TYIA.

Joe

I have an issue with my tool setter and wish to disassemble,clean and reassemble and cannot find any info on this. I do not know if it is even possible or not.

The issue I am having is I am getting intermittent "unexpected probe touch" errors or if the machine makes contact it does register it but then the z retract backs of very slowly rather than the rapid it normally does on the probe return after contact. If I gently touch the probe from the bottom, lifting it then the proper retract rapid speed is achieved.

As I understand the functioning of the probe it does not register the tool offset until the probe returns to its neutral position and then the machine rapids away. The machines behavior is telling me that the probe is not resetting to its neutral position. I am thinking it my be a worn or weak spring.

Any help is appreciated.

TYIA.

Joe
Is your T18 mounted as milling machine tool setter or in lathe tool setting arm ?

Machine, control info would be helpful.

It is mounted in a Bostomatic 12G with the BDC 3200 control. I got it working this morning by removing the 4 screws holding the probe body in to the probe holder and rotating the probe body 90*. It seems the return spring is worn and not strong enough to close the circuit. As this probe is original equipment it is 15 years old and is only used to set tool lengths the spring was always stressed in one direction.

I do not know if this is the correct way to fix it but it worked and I am making chips,accurately. :)

Thank you,

Joe

No one has any input on disassembly/repair of a tool setter?

Any and all constructive input is desired.
They are 2 types of T18: one with cable going out from the bottom of the probe, the other with 2 concentric ring contacts on the bottom, contacting 2 spring loaded pins. The probe itself is not meant to be disassembled.
If your probe is of contact type, remove it, clean the contacts, apply some WD40 spray on spring loaded pins to assure they firmly touch the rings. If your probe is cable type or if the proposed treatment does not help - you must look for replacement.

good Afternoon, I am having very similar problems with a T18 tool setter, did you find a solution other that buying a new one? I have tried turning the probe body 90 deg but am still getting false reading

Thanks

Nigel

Back