What's new
What's new

Mazak QT15 Power required

davestearman

Plastic
I have purchased a Mazak QT-15 lathe and planning to move into the shop. Currently have 1 phase 220 power in the building. In the new section I have 125 amp single phase. Main shop has 220 200 amps. I am looking at a Perfect Phase electronic convertor rated at 20 HP and 64 amps output.

From what I can find Mazak wants 47 KVA supplied to the machine which is 123 amps at 220 three phase.

I understand if I change the parameters to slow down spindle ramp up and tool changer speed it will help.

My question is will this machine run on 64 amps or will I have to add more amperage and get a larger convertor?

If it won't run it what is the minimum I will have to have?

Thanks

Dave

The power requirements should be the absolute max that it can draw, but you'll never come close to that.

My SQT15 says it needs 120A@220v 3ph, but I was running it on a 60A 220/3ph breaker. I was running 85% spindle and 85% Z axis load for 1.5 minutes at a time drilling, plus rough turning and whatnot. Never had a problem, or needed to change spindle accel/decel.

I would go for a bigger PP than you think you need.
I don't think you'll ever find yourself saying "Oh geez, having all this extra power sure is a pain"

Mine (1988 qt15) has been running for about a year and a half on a 70a breaker, 240v. Phase converter is a 30hp american rotary. No problems. About 6 months ago I did slow the accel/decel down but not because I had any problems it just seemed like a nice thing to do to go easy on my old lathe and hopefully keep it going for a long time. This change is done by changing dip switch settings on the spindle drive.

Mine has been an awesome machine so far.

The power requirements should be the absolute max that it can draw, but you'll never come close to that.

My SQT15 says it needs 120A@220v 3ph, but I was running it on a 60A 220/3ph breaker. I was running 85% spindle and 85% Z axis load for 1.5 minutes at a time drilling, plus rough turning and whatnot. Never had a problem, or needed to change spindle accel/decel.

I would go for a bigger PP than you think you need.
I don't think you'll ever find yourself saying "Oh geez, having all this extra power sure is a pain"

I want to thank you guys for the info. I have been trying to decide how to handle this for a while.

Dave

Back