What's new
What's new

Mazak SmoothC vs SmoothG

GT500MZ

Plastic
In the process of deciding on aMazak Lathe to buy, QTU or QT. The QT has the SmoothG controller and the QTU has the SmoothC controller. On some of the Mazak forums, I was warned not to but the QTU if I were looking for a production environment lathe with thousand of pieces made annually.

My work pieces will be prototypes to low volume and I anticipate around 3-5k pieces annually. Predominantly aluminum with several hundred piece of titanium (6AL-4V). 1/2 to 2-1/2 diameter material.

I've been told by the local Mazak dealer that the SmoothG is not available on the QTU.

Suggestions, experiences, pros, cons of the SmoothC vs SmoothG would be greatly appreciated.

If you can power up the QT, buy the QT. They're too close in price to bother with the QTU, QT offers a lot more for your $.
If you want a cheaper entry level than the QT, look at korean brands. Doosan Lynx is a lot of bang for your $ at almost 1/2 the price, though prices may be a bit different down south.

I have a QTU-200MSY with SmoothC control. The SmoothC is not much different, from a user interface standpoint, than the previous Matrix control. The SmoothG on the QT machines is a whole different control with the touchscreen. I've not used it, other than during Mazatrol training on a simulator.

I priced both QTU and QT, and there's a pretty significant discount for the QTU vs. QT lines. If you're not making heavy cuts in steel, there's no advantage for a QT.

Back