What's new
What's new

measuring groove diameters

bilalyaka

Plastic
hi,

I have a part that has two ring grooves,and I have to measure them on the machine before cut off the part.

depth of the grooves about 80 mm and measurement range should be in 10 to 30.

my all tolerance is 0.05 mm.(plus and minus 0.0025 mm)

is there any equipment to use here, any advise?

thanx.

Blade mic for flat bottom grooves, and in a pinch for round bottom grooves, measure over pins and subtract the diameter of both pins for the difference between your groove and measurement.

Yeah, they are a pain, the indicals, I also have the bore gauge listed in the "customers also viewed". This said, I got used to using indicals a few years back doing work for a local shop and found quite a niche. I also like the indicator choice for accuracy. My method of keeping them sound and from gettign bounced is to use a spray bomb cap with a notch in it (made special with a precision X-acto knife) as the rest on the bench. They DO take a lot of p[ractice and patience. For an in experienced person, the dial gauge works quite well.

yes it is true that it was my first post here but I think that it does not require answers as Clarke's.

Of course I know about mics. but I have a internal groove to measure before cutting off the part to manage offsets.

the width of grooves about 4mm, depth of measurement tip is about 3.7mm, I think there is a suitable one at;
Mueller Gages Company - 1900 Series

the diameter of bore is about 12.5 mm , tolerance of the groove diameter is +/- 0.025mm so the equipment accuracy should suitable this tolerance.

See?

I have one, and it has both .0005 resolution and a .0001 resolution indicator. I rarely use it, but when I need it I have it.

Ebay will have one periodically.

Last edited:
IF...you know your machine and technique is sound and accurate, one thing I have done in the past working for companies that either couldn't afford or just wouldnt buy nice I.D. measurement tools is cut something I had access to and could measure accurately to offset the tool. You can use this technique on diameters and lengths. You would have to have material in the area your cutting to try to duplicate your cutting conditions as much as possible. It is also a very effective way to dial in long taper moves that you may not want to make a full pass on to adjust. Condition of machinery is a factor when doing this so you would need to be confident in the machine capabilities.

As you seem a bit touchy then just for the record I didn't write answers. I wrote asking for more information with questions. That you don't seem to ride the same day as you saddle up is something else again ;)
Thanks Gordon......good late night chuckle.....well said. I have not heard that expression in some time now:D

bialalyaka....Gordon was just poking but more info at the start would have cut out all the speculation as he was pointing to.

Sorry I had no value to add to the thread :(

Stevo

Back