What's new
What's new

Meldas 60 (64). How to upload parameters?

NAST555

Stainless
So it seems like all the spiders are crawling out my machines this year, last week it was the Fanuc keypad that needed a good cleaning and re-soldering and now its the mitsubishi :rolleyes5:

I turned on the control and the first thing that came up was "Z31 DATA SERVER ERROR" and some scribbles next to it that I couldn't figure out. Now that has gone away and I get "Y05 INIT PARAM ERR"
Have I lost all my parameters? And with that I assume all my programs? If I go into the parameter screen there is info in it but the rest of the pages look wonky. On the program edit page it gives me a "E51 FILE OPEN ERROR". It did not give me any warning about a low battery but I did find a single 3.6V in the cabinet and next to it the red light for battery error is lit.

If I have how would I input the parameters? I have a backup of them on my pc. I used to have the machine connected via ethernet but if I remember properly that just accesses the card so I disconnected it and have just been taking the card in and out and transferring programs on it from my pc,then into the machine.

Attachments

• DSC_0664.jpg
    DSC_0664.jpg
    84.8 KB · Views: 1,573
  • DSC_0663.jpg
    DSC_0663.jpg
    89.8 KB · Views: 1,596
  • DSC_0660.jpg
    DSC_0660.jpg
    90.4 KB · Views: 1,260
  • DSC_0661.jpg
    DSC_0661.jpg
    91.8 KB · Views: 1,746
  • DSC_0662.jpg
    DSC_0662.jpg
    88.1 KB · Views: 1,661
From the look of some of those screens, you have some scrambled memory.

You can load the parameters by RS-232 or, on some machines, from the card.

Do you have RS-232 connected?

On your card operation screen do you have a selection for maintenance? Post a pic of your card operation screen.

I'm not at my computer that has my Meldas info. I'll be down at the shop later today and can post better info later.

When you backed up the parameters did you use the Maintenance function or the Parameter function in the I/O menu?

If you have the Parameter or Maintenance functions on the Card operation screen that is the easiest method to reload. If you have to load them by RS232 then you will need to set the communication parameters manually and confirm good RS232 operation before restoring the Parameters.

If your battery problem is what caused the memory scamble, you probably will need to format the memory.

1. Change Machine Base Parameter 1060 SETUP to 1.
The controller will ask if you want to initialize. The answer is NO.
2. Enter N.
3. Press the INPUT/CALC button.
4. Enter Y.
5. Press the INPUT/CALC button.

You may need to change parameter 1043 to 1 to get the control back to English characters.

Thanks for the info!
The parameters I have are what I got from the MTB when I received the machine. Once the machine was commissioned in my shop I realised that the place I bought it from did not make sure that the IC card module ,if that is the correct word, was installed so they ordered the part and installed it for me. From that time I connected it up to my PC with a network cable and transferred programs from my PC to the card. Then at the control to the control memory if I remember correctly. I maybe used that for a month or two, and I cannot even remember which program they installed for me to use for that because that PC is long gone, and then just started removing the card and putting programs on it at my pc with a card reader and then putting it back into the machine. I think I had to change something on the HOSTSET screen for that to work?

I have never had the RS-232 setup but I do have a cable from one of my old fanucs that I could try but from what I remember the settings once the IC card was installed were changed so to use only the internal memory, and the card.

I have never used the IC/card screen really. The way I copy programs over is from the host screen,using the buttons to search for the program then transfer A-B or vice versa, which seems to have gone all weird as well. As soon as I go to the Host screen the whole control freezes up and I have to power it down to be able to navigate around again. I was not able to find a maintenance option anywhere, but I might be looking in the wrong place.

Also adding pics of where I put the card in and the battery I think was the problem. The card slots in the top and my network cable went in the bottom.

1. Change Machine Base Parameter 1060 SETUP to 1. (Here it said BASE.PARA.SET and I said Y)
The controller will ask if you want to initialize. The answer is NO. (Not sure what it said here but it wasnt initialise, I hit N and Input)
2. Enter N.
3. Press the INPUT/CALC button. (Here it said FORMAT Y/N and I hit Y and input and it went through it)
4. Enter Y.
5. Press the INPUT/CALC button.
Afterwards I changed 1060 back to 0. The control still looks pretty jumbled up. Not sure if I did this correctly?

I am totally in the dark with this control... not that I am an expert but have more experience on fanucs. I've had the machine for about 6 years now and it has just run without issues.
Any more insight is much appreciated!

Attachments

• DSC_0668.jpg
    DSC_0668.jpg
    88.4 KB · Views: 944
  • DSC_0669.jpg
    DSC_0669.jpg
    87 KB · Views: 1,336
  • DSC_0670.jpg
    DSC_0670.jpg
    87.9 KB · Views: 614
  • DSC_0672.jpg
    DSC_0672.jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 1,332
  • DSC_0671.jpg
    DSC_0671.jpg
    79.6 KB · Views: 1,441
Have you replaced the battery yet? Until you do, any recovery attempts will be wasted.

The control I am running is an M50. Kind of a stripped down M60. For example, no ethernet. The general operating scheme is quite similar though.

Post a few lines of the parameter file you have. The format of it should tell me whether it was downloaded as a parameter file or a maintenance file.

Have you replaced the battery yet? Until you do, any recovery attempts will be wasted.

The control I am running is an M50. Kind of a stripped down M60. For example, no ethernet. The general operating scheme is quite similar though.

Post a few lines of the parameter file you have. The format of it should tell me whether it was downloaded as a parameter file or a maintenance file.

Currently at home but it's just a. Nc file that starts from 0001 from what I can remember. Just numbers In the 0001

After setting 1060 to 1 and answering the questions, you have to cycle the power to perform the format. 1060 should reset to 0 automatically by doing that.

I downloaded an M60 op manual and will read up to see if the parameter file can be loaded by ethernet or card rather than by RS232.

from a quick search I might have screwed up by being powered up and replacing?
I'm not big on Meldas. But I'm yet to see a control that suffered from the control being on, whilst a battery change occurred. Surely we are maintaining voltage.

I think its an Occ Health and safety thing, To recommend changing them with the power off

Ok so a bit of success...
I went through your procedure to format again and cycled the power. Then powered down and went back to the parameter base,hit the side arrow and found a backup/restore page. Tried the restore and now the screen is no longer all messed up. I still get the errors at the bottom which I suspect means that the parameters need to be loaded? It still freezes on the "HOST" page.

I've attached a screen shot of the parameters that I have on my pc. Your help is greatly appreciated Vancbiker!!

Yeah mach, I think you might be right

Attachments

• DSC_0681.jpg
    DSC_0681.jpg
    87.6 KB · Views: 615
  • DSC_0680.jpg
    DSC_0680.jpg
    89 KB · Views: 904
  • ScreenHunter_01 Feb. 08 13.50.jpg
    ScreenHunter_01 Feb. 08 13.50.jpg
    63.2 KB · Views: 619
I'm going to be out of the shop for most of the day. Back tomorrow. Hang in there.

Your parameter listing looks like what is output from the RS232 port.

The alarms showing mean the "absolute" encoder positions have not been set up and that the control is not talking to the axis amplifiers.

The parameter file you posted is from the RS232 port.

I think you will need to get the RS232 connected to re-load your control. Since you were not using that before the loss, it may be tough to get that going. Appendix 5 in the operator manual has information on setting up RS232. It does show that parameters can be loaded in the host screen from ethernet or card. Since your host screen freezes I don't think you'll be able to use that. I think RS232 is going to be your only choice (other than hand loading YUCK!).

Do you have RS232 working to other machines?

Thanks so much!
I used to have RS232 on one machine but that is long gone. I no longer use it and I doubt that I have a PC to even connect to it :(

Like I said, no idea on a Meldas control, how would I even input them by hand? So not changing a parameter to put them in?

Thanks so much!
I used to have RS232 on one machine but that is long gone. I no longer use it and I doubt that I have a PC to even connect to it :(

Like I said, no idea on a Meldas control, how would I even input them by hand? So not changing a parameter to put them in?

To load parameters by hand, see Chapter I, section 4.4 in the Meldas M60 operation manual. Decoding your RS232 file for the correct data to enter will be a bit of a PITA. Chapter II, section 6.2.3 describes the parameter file format. This will be the key for you to know which data field to enter the values in.

Keying in a control full of parameters is no fun and very error prone. If at all possible, find a PC with a serial port.

Ok so after going through the sections you pointed out to me I stumbled on the ethernet setup section. Then found the manual for the setup on the net.

Going to try that first,then if I struggle it's RS232. I have gone through that section and dragged out on old pc with the correct 9pin card in it for communication.

Ok so after struggling with the Ethernet I canned the idea and am now trying RS232.

So on the meldas communicating program that I downloaded it told me how to test if it is working by trying to output parameters from the control. I double checked my setting to make sure that they are the same but when I try that it says something along the lines of "device not ready" at the control?

Attachments

• DSC_0730.jpg
    DSC_0730.jpg
    93 KB · Views: 791
  • DSC_0729.jpg
    DSC_0729.jpg
    89.7 KB · Views: 849
  • DSC_0728.jpg
    DSC_0728.jpg
    96.9 KB · Views: 647
Sorry for not getting back to you sooner...

A message like "device not ready" makes me think a cable problem.

When I get to my shop later this morning I will post a cable configuration.

Back